Homebuilt Maybe One More Time

My current system is getting long in tooth. I built it 4 years ago and
it has done very well. I'm ready to get a new system and I'm not sure
if I should go with a Dell or build another. The Dell's are very low
cost, reliable, and quiet these days.

I'm looking for a _quiet_ machine with ports on the front (1394, USB,
card reader, maybe sound) and back. I've been an AMD guy for a while
at home and use Intel at work.

This machine will be used for serious video editing (not high def yet)
and photoshopping. I'll use it also for the usual internet and home
productivity apps (maybe).

Any obvious recommendations? I see the Sonata II can come with a front
access panel for 1394, etc. How does this work? Do all modern mobos
have connectors for front ports?

I'll probably stick with XP for a while. My W2k machine has done well
although lately there's more and more flake outs.

For video card I don't need anything special. I'm not a big gamer.
Just something that is compatible with Premiere, or Vegas.

-RC

  • Re: Homebuilt Maybe One More Time
    ... I'm looking for a _quiet_ machine with ports on the front (1394, USB, ... card reader, maybe sound) and back. ... This machine will be used for serious video editing ... all boards come with connectors for front ports. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: I want to buy a laptop compatible with Linux
    ... I have checked the following lenovo notebook. ... Memory ... Card Reader: 4 in 1 Media Card Reader ... IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1 ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A8N Windows allocation of drive letters
    ... Problem is this I also used a floppy drive which has USB card reader ... in widows I ended up with the following drive allocations C and D to the ... card reader ports, E to the CD and F to the bootable sata raid. ... It will just reinstall Windows and leave everything else ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: USB question
    ... I'd like to install a card reader in the front of my system and hook it to this internal port on the card. ... Is there any sort of converter cable that goes from a male to internal header port? ... long as the card reader only needs one channel, ... or the extension ports on the front. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: What card reader comes in the $2199 iMac?
    ... Every time I have to find my damned card reader to load up my pictures ... I certainly don't think Apple ... not enough USB ports and they on the ... the Mac is terrible. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)