Re: Will XP work ok?

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike T. wrote:
Contact microsoft, let them know you have an original cdrom and
explain the situation. They may charge you a fee, but if they do
it'll be less than a whole new WinXP. If it's an OEM copy of XP,
don't say you want to put it on a different computer, say you
need to reinstall it on the original.

That won't work. If the hardware is different, you must activate
the OS by phone. So it won't do any good to claim that you are
reinstalling on the same system. Yeah, you might get it to
install OK, but that will only work for 30 days or less. -Dave

And then you have to phone for an activation key, at which point
you tell them that you've upgraded due to x or y failure...

Or you use the hack and forget about the activation garbage.

  • Re: Will XP work ok?
    ... They may charge you a fee, but if they do it'll be less ... than a whole new WinXP. ... If it's an OEM copy of XP, ... put it on a different computer, say you need to reinstall it on the ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Windows XP file problem
    ... Completely reinstall WinXP. ... >This will completely reinstall WinXP, ... >Microsoft Windows MVP ... Do I have to do the complete Windows install all ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: error code 0x80040509 - Please help
    ... Did you recently have occasion to reinstall WinXP? ... Are you running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2 now? ... Did you try to /upgrade/ your anti-virus application or install a new one and encountered a prompt telling you that SP3 had to be installed? ... After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: XP activation issue
    ... fee or charge for the phone call, but rather to the Software in question, at least your response had some thought behind it. ... BTW, I also frequently restore my machine and have never gotten this message, or another one like it. ... However, when recently doing a reinstall, I got this message to call them for the first time since I bought XP Pro .......And I reinstall A LOT! ... Product Key has been exceeded". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: IE shows a blank screen when opened.
    ... Clearing the temporary internet files, cache, and history. ... Trying to reinstall IE through ie.inf. ... installation has pending work requiring a reboot. ... and type SFC (msconfig for WinXP). ...