Re: GF 6600GT - Power Req's

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:49:18 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Tim Binns <binns.tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I put in a GF 6600GT, which has been problematic. About 1 boot in
three, I see the "Your graphics card is not getting enough power"
warning dialog.

A telltale sign if I ever heard one.

Now the PSU in the Sonata MK 1 is a 380W afair which is supposed
to supply up to 16A on the 12v rail.

My Antec 350 W supply has 21 amps at 12 V.

The 16A figure is from the data sheetfor the PSU at Antec's site.

Bear in mind it's the "quite" version with only one temperature
controlled 80mm fan.

1) Does it seem likely that my current PSU is
marginal/insufficient for my system now that I've installed a
hungrier graphics card?

Yes, and AFIAK running a system with insufficient power is a bad
thing. In other words, I would be concerned about doing that.

Good luck.

  • Re: New PC build will not post or give video output
    ... go to the front panel power switch, or by using a power button from an old ... The power starts up each of the fans I have - CPU, Case fan, Northbridge ... The PSU fans work as well. ... The PCI-Express power connector is plugged into the graphics card directly ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Computer resets several times while booting
    ... IME disk problems show as odd errors during the boot, very slow booting or a total failure to boot. ... I'd take a careful look at the connections on both sides of the PSU. ... Check the power switch too if its mechanical rather than a "soft" switch. ... Check that none of the connectors are loose or dirty and also look at the mains cord. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: [ubuntu-users] Double Trouble with GRUB
    ... If I try to boot up right after the ... which is the DVD/CD rw and the rest are hard drives with most of them ... power so that the charge does not melt off for a while. ... What kind of PSU do you have? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: New PC build will not post or give video output
    ... The power starts up each of the fans I have - CPU, Case fan, Northbridge ... The PSU fans work as well. ... The PCI-Express power connector is plugged into the graphics card directly ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: New PC build will not post or give video output
    ... The power starts up each of the fans I have - CPU, Case fan, Northbridge ... The PSU fans work as well. ... The box in which the graphics card came states that it needs a 350W ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)