Re: bad virus

Xray <pl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

malwarebytes refuses to run, I even tried running it from an entirely
different drive - If I try to name it something.com, it won't run unless
its an exe extension.
I can change it to donaldduck.exe or whatever, doesn't seem to do any good.
This infection seems geared to stop most programs, either by corrupting the
install or not letting them run.

I've seen this a lot; the malware appears to look at the size of the file.
There are some older tools I can use, such as a copy of SpySweeper from about
3 years ago that most malware won't shut down, though they'll shut down more
recent versions.

But try installing it in safe mode and you might have better success. Also,
try rolling back the registry manually (copy and paste) to at least a week
before the infection was first noticed.

  • Re: OT: anti-malware progs ineffective
    ... > & Destroy is catching little more than half the malware reaching me. ... applications, meaning that they install two apps, which are both started ... Usually, if you run the spybot cleaner from safemode, (which also ... This is only true if it knows about the particular infection, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: OT: anti-malware progs ineffective
    ... > & Destroy is catching little more than half the malware reaching me. ... applications, meaning that they install two apps, which are both started ... Usually, if you run the spybot cleaner from safemode, (which also ... This is only true if it knows about the particular infection, ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: bad virus
    ... its an exe extension. ... This infection seems geared to stop most programs, ... corrupting the install or not letting them run. ... the malware appears to look at the size of the ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?
    ... How can malware find Ubuntu in the first place? ... Plus it has to install patches ... There is no indication that Ubuntu exists on the web. ... others that are the main entry points for infection. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: bad virus
    ... This infection seems geared to stop most programs, ... corrupting the install or not letting them run. ... the malware appears to look at the size of the ... rules everyone else has to play by) TDSS rootkit right? ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)