Re: OT: Best free Firewall, please??

5. Reconsider the usage of IE (optional) and OE (highly recommended).
Utilizing another browser application and e-mail provider can add to
the overall security of the OS.
Consider: Opera, FireFox or Seamonkey and PegasusMail, Thunderbird or
WLM.

I use the most updated FireFox as my browser and Mozilla Thunderbird
as my e-mail client. I also have Yahoo mail which I access through FF.

9. Employ back-up application(s).
Windows XP Backup Made Easy
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
Consider: Acronis, Casper or Norton Ghost and ERUNT.

This is where I am confused. Now when I backup, do I backup eveything
or just certain things? Will the program asked for a disk to be placed
inside the DVD/CD tray for the backup to be written to or where do the
backup go? How often should one backup? Also, of all the programs you
have listed above, which would you choose if you had to pick one and
why it over the others?

While I am thinking of this and it really has nothing to do with our
posts, but I am curious. Can a DVD be used as a Mega storage disk for
all kinds of files and things, or does it only work for something
video related?

Because rootkits meddle with the operating system itself they *require*
full Administrator rights to install. Hence infection can be avoided by
running Windows from an account with *lesser* privileges" (LUA).

Good luck :)
Thanks, I am sure I am going to need it!

Crystal

  • Re: OT: Best free Firewall, please??
    ... Utilizing another browser application and e-mail provider can add to ... I use the most updated FireFox as my browser and Mozilla Thunderbird ... Windows XP Backup Made Easy ... External media such as DVD, CD and Thumb Drives can be used for all ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?
    ... I'm curious if the Linux antivirus software ClamAV would have caught ... be a one-way street (a *lot* of trust is put in the backup software). ... Check your browser for rogue plug-ins. ... The other odd thing is that I noticed ping.exe was taking a *lot* of CPU ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: NFS & Remote profile for Firefox
    ... Foxmarks does keep the data on a server somewhere out there. ... You don't need the browser much for anything if you can't access "out ... if it were a problem with my external connection to the Internet. ... Would I be able to backup the data on their system ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?
    ... I had to restore the system and apps (kinda cute, ... I'm curious if the Linux antivirus software ClamAV would have caught ... be a one-way street (a *lot* of trust is put in the backup software). ... Check your browser for rogue plug-ins. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Firefox 1.5.0.7 RPM
    ... I wrote backup but I meant the bookmarks.html file that is ... created when you export bookmarks from the browser. ... I arrange my most often used bookmarks in drop down menus in the ... Toolbar in Seamonkey. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)