Re: AVG 8 free

sherwindu wrote:
Tommy McClure wrote:

Have a buddy in the business, claims AVG 8 free is much faster than
anything else he has.

Any comments?

--
tommy

I don't know about your buddy, but after installing AVG 8, my
computer slowed

down to a crawl. It was using close to 100 per cent cpu, with no
other processes
loaded. I did not have this problem with AVG 7.5 and I am sorry
I upgraded.

Of course Grisoft is going to pull the plug on 7.5 in a few
months anyways.

What made me more frustrated was that using either the AVG
uninstaller or Windows Add/Delete program software, I was
getting errors preventing me from unloading the AVG 8.0. I
just took a hammer to it and stripped out
all
file and registry references. Programs like this are scary.
Now I have to search
for a new replacement for AVG. I am running an 1.3 gig cpu
with 500 meg of
ram and windows 2000. Certainly enough horse power to handle a
anti-virus

program.

see this thread : news:48581a48$0$9836$a726171b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

here are the processes for AVG 7.5 running on my box:
avgamsvr.exe 192k
avgcc.exe 1,320k
avgemc.exe 556k
avgupsvc.exe 528k
total ~ 2,500k

my comparable for Avast 4 free home version
ashDisp. 2,156k
ashMaiSv.exe 2,448k
ashServ.exe 28,300k
ashWebSv.exe 32,356k
aswUpdSv.exe 292k
total ~65,000k

Ernie's number's for same thing
<quote>
Check your settings. I just installed avast
ashWebSv.exe 1,652k
ashDisp.exe 1,300k
ashMaiSv.exe 1,908k
ashServ.exe 11,516k
doesn't even come close to 45mb.<unquote>
total 14,000k

I don't know why there was a difference in his numbers. I run W2K Pro dual
PIIs @500mhz 768mb ram. It is very slow. I am afraid to even try AVG 8 free.
My theory is that the new pcs all have about 2gb ram , 3ghz cpus and the
programmers have left folks with older systems behind. The commercial
security suites are even worse.

--
tommy

  • Re: Avast 4.8 free ver VS AVG 8.0
    ... finding things that AVG missed. ... Anyhow, I suspect that AVG isn't happy with with the quad core CPU, ... and Vista's threading technology is ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Win XP freezing
    ... At one point I got the impression that it might be my AVG so for the past ... week or so I've had AVG on one desktop and Windows Defender and MS Security ... My backup desktop is a Generic P4, 2.46 Ghz, Win XP Home with 256 Megs ... updating) of Ram ...
  • Re: BCCode: 1000008e
    ... installed (it was just one actually, Avg Anti Virus Free Version). ... Avg before on my pc, but ever since I reformatted my pc. ... install any software on to my computer for now because I may have to ... Did you add RAM about the time this ...
  • Win XP freezing
    ... freezing up at odd times. ... week or so I've had AVG on one desktop and Windows Defender and MS Security ... My backup desktop is a Generic P4, 2.46 Ghz, Win XP Home with 256 Megs ... updating) of Ram ...
  • Re: AVG 8 free
    ... I don't know about your buddy, but after installing AVG 8, my ... It was using close to 100 per cent cpu, ... PIIs @500mhz 768mb ram. ... Well, I don't think W2K is suited to dual processors, and it isn't exactly happy running on PIIs either. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)