Re: Which Internet Security suite is best?

From: "Char Jackson" <none@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Char Jackson" <none@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

|> My understanding is that all inbound ports are blocked by default, as
|> confirmed by grc.com. By "block", do you mean specifically opening
|> those ports and perhaps forwarding them to a non-existent LAN IP? I
|> just prefer to let them be blocked along with everything else.
|>
|> -Char

Effectively they are not.

| Please explain.

I wish I could explain it better.

They are akin to doors that can be opened.

| From the outside? I think not, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

They can be invited by the inside and it is possible a well crafted packet may open the port
from the outside.

Specifically blocking the ports on the Router effectively locks those doors and they can
not be opened.

| So let me ask again - what do you mean by "specifically blocking the
| ports on the router"? I only have experience with Linksys and D-Link
| routers, and neither of them offers that feature. I repeat, are you
| talking about specifically OPENING those ports and forwarding them to
| a non-existent LAN IP? Is opening those ports more secure than leaving
| them closed?
|
| -Char

I use a Linksys BEFSR81 and have used the BEFSR41.
http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm

I have also setup other Routers such as Asante and D-Link. Specifically blocking ports is
there and it has NOTHING to do with uPnP. It also has NO negative consequences, only
benefits.

See the graphic posted in; alt.binaries.comp.virus
Subject: Re: Which Internet Security suite is best?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm