Virus/Trojan/Ad/Spy/Malware that modifies hosts file when any program is run?

Does anyone know of a virus/trojan/adware/etc... that modifies the
\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file on ANY program that you run?
We're using zonelab pro with the "OS firewall" enabled but every time
you try to run an application, it tells you that [application name] is
trying to modify the hosts file. This happens with all applications. We
have nod32 and during an in-depth analysis we got rid of 144 threats
:), but it seems like there's something it didn't get.

Thing is, the hosts file remains the same (with just the single
localhost entry pointing to 127.0.0.1) whether we allow or deny the
action.

  • Re: Virus/Trojan/Ad/Spy/Malware that modifies hosts file when any program is run?
    ... We're using zonelab pro with the "OS firewall" enabled but every time ... the hosts file remains the same (with just the single ... There are a few if not even many threats that change the hosts file. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: fire wall ap
    ... If you have a real world IP for eth0 or a ppp0 entry in ifconfig then if you run a service like file sharing you're showing that service to the world, in this case you do want some decent firewall rules to govern that interface. ... localhost username-desktop ... You can also use the hosts file to redirect yourself to another domain ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Advocacy #43: Virus hits; many in the company still down
    ... All browsing outside the corporate firewall is blocked, ... reimaged and tried to go to Canon.com to download a driver ... ... Mac just fine. ... It's been purported that IT broadcast a hosts file to ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • RE: LOTS of Pop Ups
    ... clean you system first and then troubleshoot other ocurances if ... scan for Viruses online from here: ... Then Open your HOSTS file by opening the windows explorer and you will find ... Try to block any open port on your Router Firewall or in another word try ...
  • Re: Freeware replacements for Norton Internet Security?
    ... I am personally not a fan of NIS in any form, ... I would alternatively consider perhaps Comodo Firewall? ... I would agree with Spywareblaster, Winpatrol, MVPS HOSTS File. ... newer versions of Kerio, which are basically set 'n forget. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)