Re: Another Newbie asking "Which Anti-Virus Sofware is the Best?"

On 29 May 2006 19:51:43 -0700, jimrainfordson@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

If I download, update and run the top 3 or 4
anti-spyware/anti-trojain/anti-malware type apps and I come up clean,
is it pretty safe to assume that (at least for the time being) I'm free
of malware? Or is there just too much of it outthere that isn't
tracked?

As an afterthought, perhaps I should mention that there are quite a
number of utilities available for checking a machine, some of which
are easy enough for average users, and some which aren't. Without
being very specific or supplying urls at this point, the rootkit
detction utils from F-Secure and SysInternals come to mind as easy-to-
use. But the best method for rootkit checks is to do formal av
scanning, which means the use of a alternate operating system while
doing the scan. It seems to me though, that expecting average users
to build something like a Bart CD is a bit much :) The NT based OS
such as Win 2K and XP have made life very difficult in this regard.

Also, many of the other utilities available for general or generic
malware checking aren't suitable for average users. They require
knowledge of what a normal or clean machine "looks like" in certain
details, including portions of the registry.

I don't mean to make too much of this, though, or in any way induce
paranoia. In practice, "safe hex" and some basic prevention knowledge
goes a very long way.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

  • Re: Another Newbie asking "Which Anti-Virus Sofware is the Best?"
    ... Thanks art. ... stuff and safe hex too. ... are easy enough for average users, ... "safe hex" and some basic prevention knowledge ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: baffled by efs
    ... and then I "restore" them to an arbitrary PC. ... I'm waiting for the first such malware to claim legitimate ... your assailant's hand warm and safe as it does yours. ... ...and what I call "risk WYSIWYG"... ...
  • Re: W32.RontokBro.B@mm
    ... go to registery and remove some keys and values from registery. ... attachments, doing a System Restore) or malware persistence. ... What I'm looking for, but not finding, is a way the malware can ... Safe Mode Cmd ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: GhostWall
    ... I seriously doubt that most people (average users) will be able to ... What I meant is, that if you can avoid a type of attack, avoid it. ... that they have to hope that the malware author is so ... some "Personal Firewalls" like Sygate and Outpost for example are helping ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: PC VERY slow, 100% CPU useage, 90 processes
    ... With reference to "safe and informed E-mail practice" it is not just ... Some very difficult to detect malware gain access in this ... McAfee security center. ...