Re: Who can scan my ports?

From: "Morgan Ohlson" <morgan.ohlson@xxxxxxxxx>

| Internet cable ... which means I'm basicly online all the time.
|
| Morgan O.

Get a Cbale/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.

Specifically block both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on the Router
Disable all administration of the Router form the WAN side
Disable WAN requests (such as pings)

When you do this, your computers on the LAN side will be safe from Hackers and internet
worms. If you were to do a Port Scan such as from; http://www.broadbandreports.com/scan
no ports will be seen as "open" and from the POV of the internet, nobody will even know you
exist behind the WAN address.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: Network Design
    ... I connect to the internet at present via the SOHO TC 6 then the ADSL ... The soho TC 6 passes smtp etc to the WAN NIC. ... trusted port on the local network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [SLE] port forwarding
    ... >eth0 - connection to the internet ... >eth1 - my own LAN ... i'm not using SuSEFirewall but you've configured a port forward from ... your lan to wan but you wan't wan -> lan so you don't need to configure ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Security overkill?
    ... Networking for various functionalities. ... Port 136 -- nothing uses this port and it is easier to exclude the range, ... None of these ports are used for normal Internet access. ... Internet or the Wide Area Network (WAN). ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Public IP Address for Remote Access
    ... for wan access to your home pc you are better off using ... with vnc there are lots of things to do if you want a secure connection. ... home a internet provider that has dynamic ip addressing. ... router to the particular pc on you lan (note that all of the pcs on your lan ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: FTP versus Copy
    ... Remember he said over a WAN. ... Swen Internet worm to visit you. ... itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. ... |>best option for copying these files to the central site? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)