Re: MokaPot vs "SteamToy"?

I think "steam toy" (or "steam espresso machine" as the manufacturers
falsely call them) is a defined category. The home versions are all
descended from the original "Vesuviana"

http://www.contrex.ca/coffee/img/salton.jpg

and have the following characteristics:

1. A small vertical steam boiler with screw cap at the top, usually cast
aluminum. The coffee is extracted solely by steam pressure without a pump
which means that "espresso" is misleading.

2. A portafilter for the coffee - this is what distinguishes them from
mokas, electric mokas, etc. where the coffee basket is usually placed inside
the boiler chamber. Such as the Bellman

http://fantes.com/bellman-electric.html

which is otherwise very similar. The lack of pump/lever distinguishes them
from the Pavoni Europiccola and such.

3. A steam wand.

Modern ones usually conceal the boiler inside some cheap plastic housing and
often come with a little carafe to catch the coffee (as did the Bellman).
Sometimes there is a valve to shut off the flow of water to the "group head"
for steaming or sometimes there is a blind filter for the same purpose.

I think you very well know all this and are being "cute". As I said before,
the manufacturers started this by calling their machines "espresso
machines" when they ain't. Given the misleading nature of the manufacturer
designated name, it's fair that we get to pick our own designation instead
and we chose "toy". That's the risk the manufacturers took when they gave
the machine a misleading name.

"John S." <hjsjms@xxxxxx> wrote in message
On Feb 25, 6:58 pm, "Craig Andrews" <alt.cof...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>