Re: Improving my coffee.

On Jan 16, 1:46 pm, "Jack Denver" <nunuv...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"finding z0" <j...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Well a bag is definitely better than from the bins, esp. if it is a valve
bag.  Is it a valve bag?  If not, the roaster has to allow the beans to
"degas" (stale) before they are packed or the bag will blow itself up like a
balloon.  Also, unless you go thru a lot of beans quickly, then once you
open a 2.5 lb. bag the staling begins.   If I absolutely positively had to
buy beans in a supermarket then I'd get whole beans packed in a 12-16 oz.
valve bag and hopefully something marked with  a roast date or at least a
stale date.

When I was a kid (in the 40's), next to my school (p.s. 179, named
after that famous war hero 'Public School 179' heh heh..I would walk
thru the dimly lit A&P warehouse and smell the freshly ground coffee
(8 o'clock, Bokar, etc.) Ruined me forever, as it never tasted as good
as it smelled. I don't believe i see a valve on the bag. The proof is
in the taste and it's entirely drinkable. Cheers

  • Re: "Roast Dated to Ensure Freshness" TM
    ... What I think you are describing is really a valve bag. ... that beans "degas"carbon dioxide and other gaseous substances during the ... Hence, roasters use valve bags. ... What the packaging cannot do is to improve ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: How Long do Green Beans Keep?
    ... >>> a green house effect on the beans which ruins them in my opinion ... > the inside of your bag. ... Where did the moisture come from? ... if some water were to fall into your bag say ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Green Coffee shipping and storage bags -was Multiple Freezing & Thawing of Green Coffee
    ... roasted coffee from White Coffee Company in Long Island City, ... They delivered those roasted beans in a 25 pound, sealed, nitrogen flushed ... mylar bag, ... of 25-30 years experience concerning storage. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Bean to Bean Variation
    ... when using different types/roasts of coffee beans for espresso? ... got a new bag in and had to grind 3 steps coarser than my last lot to ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Best technique for fresh?
    ... >>I've been keeping beans in a vacuumed container. ... They suggested just uses a glass jar ... >bagged, and the rest would sit in the bag they came in until they were ... I buy two pounds at a time, fresh roasted (picked up at the roastery). ...
    (alt.coffee)