home machine musings

The postings this week seem a bit slow. Once again I find myself
pondering what I actually need in a home espresso machine. Currently
I am using a Starbucks Barista, with a Saeco non-pressurized
portafilter and a Mazzer mini grinder.
At one point I had thought I needed a bigger machine. This was
before I ever really touched a commercial espresso machine. My church
has installed a 2 group La Cimbali machine and I get to run it
periodically. Comparing what I can make on either machine, I find
that, I can indeed produce as good an espresso and or latte on the
Barista as I can on the La Cimbali.
I do find that the grinder and beans make the biggest difference in
the making of an espresso. The only advantage to moving up from the
Barista, would be the ability to make a larger quantity of drinks,
when I have a party.
So, currently my thinking is to keep the Barista until it dies or I
find a deal on a machine that I cannot pass up.

Shane

  • Re: home machine musings
    ... before I ever really touched a commercial espresso machine. ... Barista as I can on the La Cimbali. ... I do find that the grinder and beans make the biggest difference in ... You can make a lot of drinks fast at 12am to get the guests headed out the door. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: home machine musings
    ... portafilter and a Mazzer mini grinder. ... before I ever really touched a commercial espresso machine. ... has installed a 2 group La Cimbali machine and I get to run it ... Barista as I can on the La Cimbali. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: home machine musings
    ... before I ever really touched a commercial espresso machine. ... Barista as I can on the La Cimbali. ... A 2 group Cimbali should be able to put out 2 drinks a minute w/o a problem. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: How do you guys pull your espresso shots?
    ... >bottomless PF. ... Do you happen to be a barista in Mtl? ... Nope - just a guy with an espresso machine. ...
    (alt.coffee)