Re: Schomer in businessweek

Jack Denver wrote:
For example, John was not in
favor of bottomless portafilters - I thought this was a valid topic of
discussion and didn't find his argument against them at all persuasive.

Quite a few folks are vocally anti-bottomless. I don't get it: what is it about the flavor of hot brass that excites them so?

Mark Bittman did a TV series and a book
called " Bittman takes on America's Chef's" where he talks about this - he
had an argument with a famous Spanish chef who said something to the effect
that Spanish salt was saltier than American salt and no amount of scientific
evidence could change the chef's mind.

Spanish salt could be "saltier." When you evaporate sea water, there are many other minerals besides sodium chloride (eg, magnesium choride) that begin to crystallize out of solution. If you leave a certain percentage of them in, you get a salt that is more punchier and "saltier" than your run-of-the-mill American table salt.

> Bittman sees himself as a dedicated
amateur who is not in the same league as the famous chefs he cooks with but
still able to hold his own reasonably well, in part because he is willing to
take a un-superstitious, non tradition bound, scientifc approach to dishes.

Yeah, but I sometimes think the "scientific" approach is shallow and oversimplified. The salt situation cited above is perhaps one example of this.

> If I was stuck in a car that was sinking into a lake
and I could only make one call - say Schomer and Barry, I know whose number
I would dial and it wouldn't be Schomer's.

Come on, Jack, this is disingenuous. You don't HAVE Schomer's number. :-)
--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
.