Re: Taste test kit

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:04:45 -0500, Andy Schecter
<schecter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to put together a simple taste test kit to train myself to properly
discern varying levels of sweet, sour, salty and bitter.

The first three are easy to find (sugar, citric acid, table salt). The bitter
is a little more challenging. Some kits use quinine, but it's a drug, fairly
toxic when overdosed, and my require a prescription (Dr Fox?)

Any other suggestions for bitter? (Besides Starbucks coffee, you wisenheimers).

The SCAA has some pricey kits, but I'd like to try a homemade one first.

I'd call up Joseph Rivera at SCAA for a cheap, safe alternative. He's
very helpful.

Marshall "Nez du Cafe strikeout king"
.