Re: Coffee berries - edible?

Quoth "Coffee for Connoisseurs" <alanfrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
| Coffee cherries are indeed edible; the pulp is similar in flavour, sweetness
| and acidity to feijoa, the skins can be dried and made into an infusion
| (qishr) and the seeds... well, we all know about those. It has long been a
| mystery to me that coffee processers don't recover the semi fermented pulp
| removed during wet processing and ferment it all the way out into alcohol.
| The stink of a wet mill during harvest always reminds me of a winery anyway.

Yeah! The tree in my office has about a dozen cherries, too few to
brew but I'm looking forward to a taste if they ever ripen. Maybe
then I'll know why no wine. But the Yemeni coffee growers are said
to think it's great stuff, and it's hard to believe there isn't some
potential in it somewhere.

| Eating a coffee cherry or two is a good way to determine ripeness; when it
| tastes right, it's ready to harvest.

But that's 1/12 of my harvest, and it doesn't look like they're all on
the same schedule, so I think I'm going to have to go by color and feel.
Some time next spring, the way it's going.

Donn

  • Re: Coffee berries - edible?
    ... Coffee cherries are indeed edible; the pulp is similar in flavour, ... removed during wet processing and ferment it all the way out into alcohol. ... The stink of a wet mill during harvest always reminds me of a winery anyway. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: AELTC grounskeeper Seaward says grass was changed to attract Nadal and Agassi
    ... McEnroe on 2011 grass, he would have beat them to pulp, especially ... I would say it is most likely Lendl would have nabbed a couple under ... If you throw in $4.50 with that comment it can buy you a coffee. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: AELTC grounskeeper Seaward says grass was changed to attract Nadal and Agassi
    ... McEnroe on 2011 grass, he would have beat them to pulp, especially ... I would say it is most likely Lendl would have nabbed a couple under ... If you throw in $4.50 with that comment it can buy you a coffee. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Cuban 09 coffee harvest was worst in history
    ... Cuba -- where super-strong shots of espresso are a way of life -- says it had its worst coffee harvest in history last year, with production plummeting to just 5,500 tons nationwide. ... Cafe con leche is strong espresso combined with a large glass of steamed milk. ...
    (soc.culture.cuba)
  • Cuba is optimistic that better weather,
    ... Cuba upbeat as coffee harvest gets underway ... HAVANA, Aug 21 - Cuba is optimistic that better weather, ... at 140,000 60-kg bags, 25 percent less than the previous harvest. ... prices, which allows us to increase what we pay for beans," state-run ...
    (soc.culture.venezuela)