Re: how is flavored coffee made?

In <68WdnS-8QtNyexPZnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on Tue, 13 Jun 2006
12:25:21 -0400, geoman wrote:
I would like to know how flavored coffee is made.

A flavoring agent, usually in a propylene glycol
base(*) (yes, that's antifreeze) is added to the coffee
beans, preferably as soon as they reach room
temperature, but certainly within 24 hours according
to most manufacturers.
(*) A small minority of flavorings is available in an
ethanol base. Blueberry Cinammon something or other
(Crumble?) from Flavor Dynamics (IIRC) is one that
almost comes to mind.

These flavorings are generally added in the amount
of 2% to 3% by weight, and are then simply stirred or
shaken to coat the beans. If done as recommended,
the flavoring tends to soak into the bean... otherwise
it tends to stay on the surface. Does that really
matter? Probably not. One of the Allen Flavors sales
reps even suggested adding their flavors directly to
the brewed cup. I personally don't drink flavors except
when I "have" to, but I disliked that method even more
than the normal one. On the plus side, this method
doesn't gunk up your grinder with flavor molecules
so tenacious that they take years to evaporate on their
own. If you think, "I'll just grind regular coffee and
eventually the flavor will go away," you'll be right as
long as you realize that "eventually" in this context
means literally scores of lbs. before it's no longer
noticeable it in your regular coffee, and hundreds of
lbs. before the smell is completely gone from your
grinder.

I have had hazelnut coffee
all ready roasted and it has the hazelnut flavoring already in it. Can this
be done at home with a roaster ?

No, not with a roaster. ;-)

  • Re: Starting A Part-Time Coffee/Espresso Bar
    ... The pods are flavored coffee, and the Bunn ... you're flavoring coffee- the beans will be covered up somewhat, ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Free shipping from Barry
    ... I see that flavored coffee is available. ... go about flavoring some of my roasts. ... I was at a local roaster lately ... little Fresh Roast), I ordered a lb. each of Decatur St. and ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: how is flavored coffee made?
    ... that still tastes like so-so beans with flavoring on them. ... most flavored coffee customers can't tell the difference? ... yes, there are unscrupulous roasters who flavor poor beans, just as ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: how is flavored coffee made?
    ... When you order flavored coffee from some coffee houses, ... all ready roasted and it has the hazelnut flavoring already in it. ... in the roaster or its cooling tray. ... grinder as well as tainting the flavor of subsequently ground beans. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Cafetiere
    ... flavored coffee but it seems a bit pricey for what it is. ... So I recently bought some pure hazelnut extract. ... Always add ANY flavoring to the brewed coffee itself. ... it can muck up your coffee grinder. ...
    (alt.coffee)