What does scale look like?

For water, I use something like what Jim recommends normally: mostly RO
water with some filtered tap water, and I flush the boiler around once a
month.

Today I descaled following Jim' directions. I got quite a bit of greenish
tint, as Jim warns comes from the copper boiler, but I couldn't see anything
else in the water. Should I see scale? What would it look like?

The part that worries me is that I also descaled the HX. Jim recommends
about six flushes, about two minutes apart. I got a phone call during the
process, and let the last interval be around 40 minutes. The water I'm
flushing from the brew head definitely has stuff in it: they are black
flecks that sparkle silvery in sunlight. What are they? Did I screw up?

Cordo

  • Re: Descaling (cont.)
    ... I would add that some machines have drain plugs and/or do not have water ... advisable to remove the boiler from the machine and the heating element from ... I've posted detailed instructions for descaling an HX ... > autofill setting and to flood the boiler to near the top (I actually ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Tankless boiler not providing enough hot water---help!!
    ... about 15 years old---but I'm told that the water around here is pretty ... hard and that it eats up boiler. ... The heater part of the boiler has three controls as far as I can ... I'd agree with the above except that a tankless coil CAN be replaced. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Cimbali Jr. - What is the ideal boiler level? (aka the evil autofill)
    ... > autofill probe to determine the maximum fill range and go from there. ... > I hadn't thought about the boiler vs. HX water from a water quality ... > perhaps even metal content in some boiler water must be impressive. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: old boiler question
    ... efficiency boiler to save on energy costs. ... Hot water heating system boilers typically last very much longer than ... condensate is completely saturated with CO2, and as a result, something ... running that condensate through a neutralizing media to neutralize the ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • General impressions of an old ElEspresso
    ... Portafilter locks into bottom of boiler ... and there are slots to view the water elvel through. ... alt.coffee readings reminded me to turn the steam wand on and wa-la!, ... Make quite a decent cup of espresso. ...
    (alt.coffee)