Re: NY Times feature today on CoffeeGeek.com and Mark

In <1137710836.373180.236620@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on
01/19/06 at 02:47 PM,
"CoffeeKid" <Coffeekid@xxxxxxxxx> said:

"|I rejected the idea of freezing coffee.

Wrongly so.

"|It's ludicrous.

Only because you make a ludicrous assumption about how to do it.

"|And when a
"|consumer constantly opens and closes the container holding said
"|frozen coffee,

That is ludicrous. Nothing about the concept of freezing coffee
dictates that the frozen container be opened repeatedly. That is a
ludicrous accretion upon a valid concept.

The idea is to preserve the coffee in the state it was shortly after
roasting. The best way to accomplish that is: (1) to reduce the
quantity of oxygen that can get in contact with the roasted beans, and
(2) to reduce the chemical activity of such oxygen as _does_ reach the
beans. Freezing is directed to the second, but you address the first.

When Tom of Sweet Maria's has a varietal or blend I favor on his
weekly roasted sale, I purchase three or four pounds at a time; I
cannot buy one pound this week, another pound next week, etc. As soon
as the package arrives here, all but one pound, still in Sweet Maria's
sealed bags, gets put into individual sealed freezer bags (i.e.,
double bagged) and thrown in the freezer. The remaining pound, I
dispense, a third at a time, to the countertop (room temperature)
airtight canister, there in a sealed bag inside the canister. That
is, initially, I open the pound bag only long enough to pour out 1/3
pound, sqeeze the air out of the original bag that still contains 2/3
pound, put it inside a freezer bag, squeeze the air out of that, then
put the 2/3 pound in the freezer. Each pound bag is opened only three
times, each time for only so long as it takes to dispense 1/3 pound of
beans to the countertop cannister. It is the countertop canister that
gets opened daily, but 1/3 pound of beans lasts only three days or so.

Using this technique, the third third of the fourth pound of an order
of roasted beans from Sweet Maria's is indistinguishable in taste from
the first third of the first pound, though a month or more has passed
between the consumption of the two.

"|it goes away from Sivitz' experiements.

Who cares? The issue is not to duplicate Sivitz's experiments, but to
get good coffee in your own home. Sivitz fails to take into account
the reduced chemical activity at freezer temperatures. He also fails
to take into account how the beans deep in the bag are shielded from
the influx of oxygen into the bag by the top layer of beans in the
bag.

T. Guilbert
Portland, Oregon, United States of America