> >> "Java Man" <rickk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> That's the ultimate answer.
> >> I find....
> >
> > I'm sure it's not "the ultimate answer", but perhaps you could explain
> > why using the grind that works fine for doubles on my machine chokes it
> > for singles?
> >
> > Rick
>
> The first thing that comes up is the amount of coffee.
> The coffee in the pf expands when getting wet. It needs room for expansion
> otherwise it chokes the flow.

I experimented to find the optimum dose for each basket I use. My
single basket requires 12 grams; my doubles 18 and 19 grams (they're
slightly different). Any more, and the PF is too full (using the
"nickel" test); any less and the shot is too fast. (My single basket is
larger than the average single, and my double baskets are larger than
average, too.)

Dosing is more critical with singles because just a gram too much or too
little coffee affects the headspace enough to make a sub-optimal shot.
Until I started weighing the dose, I couldn't get good singles
consistently. The size and shape of the basket is one reason for this.
While striking off the excess coffee level at the top of the basket
works fine for my doubles, it leaves the single basket too full. I no
longer need to weigh doses for my baskets because I can eyeball the dose
quite well.

Anyway, it's no hardship to change the grind when you're grinding for
one shot at a time, which I nearly always do.

> Try using less coffee and try using less pressure for tamping or just don't
> tamp but level with some force.

> This all goes for good evenly -consistently- grinded coffee. If not it will
> become concrete.

I'm using a decent grinder.

This is what I have found using *my* baskets on *my* machine. As I'm
sure you know, there is a large variety of baskets sold, with differing
ratios of total screen area to basket volume. There does not appear to
be any universal standard for baskets, so it's unlikely there's a
universal formula for getting great singles using the same grind as for
doubles.

One clue about this is the high proportion of home baristas who say they
hate making singles and can't master them. Unlike many, I get
consistently good singles, and one of the reasons is that I'm using a
coarser grind.

Anyway, this is what "I find". YMMV.

Rick

  • Re: Soggy Puck Help.
    ... I'm doing until I get a high-end grinder is my finest grind setting. ... pour the water layer off first, and the puck remains packed and solid, ... of the basket with a page ripped from a convenient book. ... coffee should without a commercial grinder with infinite settings. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Espresso grind on Solis - need help
    ... As far as amount of coffee goes, that's a hard one to answer because you're ... But if your basket is larger then you should use ... If you have a digital kitchen scale you can grind coffee into ... a small glass, like a 4 oz. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: choking Silvia
    ... >double basket along with the pro-tamp from EspressoParts.com. ... ridge where the basket narrows and too much coffee which can cause the ... *Now proceed as usual- light tamp, ... >grind a lot coarser for a presspot and was unable to get it back to the ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: How Much Espresso (or Crema)
    ... into the basket until it is level to the top. ... Grind it with what? ... What kind of coffee? ... Randy "The LA cops made me jittery" G. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: No more Google !
    ... I don't even know wether to use a single basket ... I've been studying/googling about grind distribution. ... from a means to hold the coffee, ... I make sure that there are no coffee grinds on the surface and I clean all ...
    (alt.coffee)