L.A.'s best espresso is in a theater lounge

Los Angeles has no shortage of skilled and dedicated coffee roasters.
Our problem is what happens to their product after it leaves their
toward serving a quality cup can mostly be described as mass
indifference.

For several months there have been recommendations on Coffeegeek to
try the espresso in the lounge at the REDCAT Theater in Disney Hall.
http://redcat.org/visit/lounge.php A friend also suggested it.

The REDCAT ("Roy E. Disney Contemporary Arts Theater") is an avant
garde theater run by CalArts (California Institute for the Arts), on
the ground floor of the back end of the concert hall. Being Cal Arts
managed somehow allows it to escape the pod and superauto death grip
held by Restaurant Associates/Patina Group on the rest of the Music
Center.

According to barista Sean, the theater manager came from Seattle and
insisted on maintaining proper espresso standards, even in our big
coffee desert. So she has one of Vivace's blends (I'm guessing Dolce)
shipped in regularly and makes sure the baristas know what they are
doing. I've been there twice in the last three days and have had
superb espresso, generous, creamy singles poured into a thick-walled
demitasse, for $2.

The downside is that parking will cost you more than the coffee.
However, if you're hearing a performance at Disney Hall, it's a
two-minute walk from the REDCAT to the Disney lobby through their
common garage (Level 3).

Marshall

  • Re: L.A.s best espresso is in a theater lounge
    ... Marshall wrote: ... > Los Angeles has no shortage of skilled and dedicated coffee roasters. ... > try the espresso in the lounge at the REDCAT Theater in Disney Hall. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Mia Aganaxtismeni Ellhnida
    ... A young woman just walked into the store and sat down with a plastic ... would have to buy coffee from Starbucks and not carry coffee from ... Happened a few years ago in Epidaurus: ... occasion they wanted to attend theater at the famous Epidaurus. ...
    (soc.culture.greek)
  • Re: Mia Aganaxtismeni Ellhnida
    ... A young woman just walked into the store and sat down with a plastic ... A Starbucks staff member walked up to her and told her ... would have to buy coffee from Starbucks and not carry coffee from ... occasion they wanted to attend theater at the famous Epidaurus. ...
    (soc.culture.greek)
  • Re: Mia Aganaxtismeni Ellhnida
    ... A young woman just walked into the store and sat down with a plastic ... would have to buy coffee from Starbucks and not carry coffee from ... Happened a few years ago in Epidaurus: ... We begun talking and we found out that they were tourists and having the occasion they wanted to attend theater at the famous Epidaurus. ...
    (soc.culture.greek)