Re: Crema Question

"Richard Neidich" <rneidich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I use Illy Beans from a tin.

It's not bad, but there are better, fresher blends available. Illy,
from my esperience as well as reports from others, stales very quickly
once opened and exposed to the air. I don't have reoasted espresso
around here that is more that about 6 to 8 days old. it makes a huge
difference.

>My burr grinder is a pasquini and it is only 1 year old. Never changed the
>grinder.

That should be fine and not teh source of problems. Try getting some
"Grindz" by Urnex and using it to clean the grinder- the stuff really
does work great, and I can taste the difference in the cup.

>My question is would a blend that has some robusto in it make more Crema?

Well, maybe. There is Robusta, and then there is Robusta. I think that
just looking for a blend with Robusta just to increase the crema is
not a good solution. The reason is that there is precious little
quality Robusta in the world, and a whole lot that is just plain
nasty. I think you problem lies more with getting soem quality,
fresh-roasted coffee blended for espresso and nt looking for a
"miracle bean" just to increase crema. I home-roast my own espresso
blend, and I get tons, of thick, long-lasting crema that is delicious
and I only use Arabica beans. Remember that it is entirely possible,
and quite easy, really, to make really bad espresso with gobs of thick
crema.

As I hinted at in my first reply, there are a lot of factors that go
into making quality espresso, and it can be done with 0% Robusta.

Randy "I don' need no stinkin' 'busta" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

  • Re: Espresso blend base question
    ... brazil dry processed bean for a good crema. ... Thick, viscous, long-lasting crema. ... indicator of bad espresso. ... If you somehow are not getting good crema from a blend, ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Its "Help a well-intentioned newbie" time!
    ... For proportions of robusta and a TON of useful roasting information, ... Robusta is not necessary for espresso, ... over a stale preroasted blend. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Crema Question
    ... If you're interested in crema, I recommend buying a freshly roasted espresso ... If you want a shot with gads of crema because of robusta, ... try mail ordering rileys-coffee.com "Decatur Street Blend" or for a bit less ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Gaggia Arrived Today
    ... | to the shower head when I remove the pf. ... depending on the coffee (some swells more than ... I don't know Java Joe's espresso. ... learning blend, but since they were bought by SBC ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Favorite pre-blended green espresso ?
    ... you forgot the espresso. ... For home roasting espresso and making cappuccinos you really can't go ... Even when a blend comes highly recommended I ... roasting Moka Kadir, as also recommended by Tom at SM... ...
    (alt.coffee)