Re: How to Pickle your espresso machine

1 grain = 17 ppm (aka mg/l) so I suspect that's how the number 17 made it
into the article.

"Ken Fox" <morceaudemerdeThisMerdeGoes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I got bored and ended up on one of Schomer's pages:
>
> http://www2.lucidcafe.com/lucidcafe/cafeforum/factors.html
>
> Therein I found these paragraphs, that many here have skimmed but few
> (presumably) have actually read:
>
> *****
>
> 8. Water Purity/Mineral Content
> You need to filter your water source to make espresso coffee for two
> reasons, it makes the coffee taste better and will prevent excess scale
> build up in the boiler and water lines inside your espresso machine.
>
> Here in the Pacific Northwest region of the US we have excellent mountain
> run-off water with a very low mineral content. I use a carbon-type filter
> water filtration system made by Everpure with excellent results.
>
> According to David Beeman of the Water Systems Group anywhere else in the
> US you need a technology called reverse osmosis to control mineral
> content.
>
> Your goal is to feed your espresso machine with water that has about 17
> grains of hardness. Complete removal of minerals is not practical, and
> does not result in as sweet an espresso coffee as having a bit left in the
> water.
>
> This is an area for an expert analysis to recommend the best filtration
> for your water supply in your area.
>
> ******
>
> Ought to provide a lot of work for people who like to work on scaled up
> espresso machines. I'm assuming he meant 1.7 grains, but then I don't
> know.
>

> ken

  • Re: Mis-guided MIS-USE of houshold chemicals on alt.coffee
    ... I do not recommend using sodium hydroxide for cleaning anything, either, unless you know what you are doing, and it is stainless steel that you are cleaning. ... Cleaners that are made for the job are often buffered, or a mixture of cleaners that afford a relatively low, yet effective concentration. ... So, when you purchase a "packet" of espresso machine cleaner, and mix it appropriately with water, the concentration is such that it should not harm you metal parts. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • BUDDY CAN YOU SPARE A DIME
    ... removable water tank ... espresso machine features a 15-bar Italian-made pump and a ThermoBlock ... water and steam using the illuminating solid-steel buttons. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Mis-guided MIS-USE of houshold chemicals on alt.coffee
    ... Cleaners that are made for the job is often buffered, or a mixture of TSP, or other cleaners. ... They are effective and safe at lower concentrations, so when you purchase a "packet" of espresso machine cleaner, and mix it appropriately with water, the concentration is such that it should not harm you metal parts. ... The exception being descaling a boiler...citric acid is in my opinion and experience safe and effective for the application, at the proper concentration, of course. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • How to Pickle your espresso machine
    ... Water Purity/Mineral Content ... Your goal is to feed your espresso machine with water that has about 17 ... Complete removal of minerals is not practical, ... not result in as sweet an espresso coffee as having a bit left in the water. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Isomac Tea - Strange Problem
    ... >>disconnected the float kit and just went back to using my original tank. ... > It's almost certainly your water that's causing the problem -- bet it ... > cartridge on the line to your espresso machine. ...
    (alt.coffee)