Re: "Unauthorized charger" peeve

David Arnstein wrote:
For the most part, I have good experience with Motorola cell phones.
My complaint involves charging the battery. Some of these phones only
charge with a Motorola charger. I suspect that this is a ploy to sell
Motorola battery chargers.

Anyway, the most frustrating aspect is that I can physically connect
my notebook computer to my cell phone using a bog standard USB cable.
But then the phone displays the dreaded "unauthorized charger"
message.

I would prefer not to pack a dedicated phone charger when I travel. Is
there a hack to allow me to charge my cell phone from my notebook? My
current cell phone is a W755.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you install Motorola Phone Tools then the phone will charge from a USB port.

"http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083301&p_id=3678&seq=1&format=2";

Or you can do some hardware hacking, see "http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml";.

This one _may_ have the hack built in:

"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21693";

  • Re: Are bicycle components designed by second-rate engineers?
    ... The average life of a common cell phone is about 18 months. ... Smartphones do better at about 24 months (length of contract term). ... Battery and charging failures happen, ... longevity is 100.0% full charge and in a hot/warm location. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery
    ... I have before me a Motorola E815 cell phone which will not charge. ... I found an old LG cell phone with battery, ... I figured I could use the LG cell phone to charge the Motorola battery. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery
    ... I have before me a Motorola E815 cell phone which will not charge. ... I found an old LG cell phone with battery, ... I figured I could use the LG cell phone to charge the Motorola battery. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Does Cabir virus infect Motorola V551 Cell Phone?
    ... My Motorola V551 Cell Phone is only about 3 months old and I charge it ... battery back up and the battery doesn't seem to have a good standby time. ... When I charge it fully, the charge doesn't seem to last for more than 5 to 6 ... Is it likely that my Motorola V551 is infected with a virus like "CABIR" ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)
  • Does Linux USB enumeration lock up Motorola cell phones?
    ... Does plugging a Motorola cell phone into a Linux machine's USB ... My Tracfone Motorola W260 phone was low on battery, ... to charge a cell phone via USB. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)