Re: Verizon Opens Up WiFi Access To Broadband Users!

I'm glad I don't do business with your bank, which I take it accepts credentials over an unencrypted connection.

"Larry" <noone@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Xns9CE4129D711Bnoonehomecom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Victek" <victek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

At least at places like Starbucks sniffing is
discouraged by the fact that you actually have to have an account and
log in.

That's just not true. ANY wifi ANYWHERE can easily be detected and
intercepted....if you're in range of its tiny transmitter.

Data on wifi is NOT encrypted in any way. All you need is a data logger to
intercept everything, then pick which transmitter you want to log.

Wifi isn't secure at all. I'd never send my bank account access over wifi.
That'd be crazy. It's why my netbook has a hard wire jack on it....

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2007/04/attack-of-the-evil-twin-wifi-
networks.ars

VoIP can be monitored:
http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2008/04/intercepting-vo.html
Skype has 256-bit AES Encryption to prevent it.

http://www.abanet.org/lpm/lpt/articles/tch05041.html

The monitoring station does NOT have to have access to the wifi you're
connected to! He just monitors packets to/from your IP/MAC

  • Re: TLAs and Remailers - Whats Up?
    ... another computer that does connect to internet? ... Google one time pad encryption. ... would using local Wifi spots give him the ... safety off of my monitoring program. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Verizon Opens Up WiFi Access To Broadband Users!
    ... then pick which transmitter you want to log. ... Wifi isn't secure at all. ... I'd never send my bank account access over ... read up on SSL encryption. ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Re: USA Media
    ... readers on the tills connected to a federal database. ... to them from the bank or ATM and thus traceable. ... Then there's the low-life with a wifi reader who now knows you're carrying ...
    (uk.business.agriculture)
  • Re: ACS-Law and the Copyright Speculative Invoicing
    ... hoovering up bank or credit card details. ... kit and skills to crack a protected WiFi is almost certainly going to be ... First is just good ol' fashioned neighbour disputes. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Verizon Opens Up WiFi Access To Broadband Users!
    ... Data on wifi is NOT encrypted in any way. ... I'd never send my bank account access over wifi. ... The monitoring station does NOT have to have access to the wifi you're ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)