Re: Wireless Internet

"Frankster" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:WLOdndvGCoGZnlnUnZ2dnUVZ_guWnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

"Wally George" <wg@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:gq0q1r$2v4p$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just bought a new laptop and want to get wireless Internet for it.

What's the cheapest way to do it?

I understand that I can use a VCAST phone as a modem. Is this true?

Yes, you can. It will cost $60/mo. By using your phone for this you
will not have to initiate yet another 1-2 yr contract for another
device (i.e a VZW USB Wireless Modem).

-Frank

http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/wirelessinternet/broadbandaccessconn
ect.html

The list of phones is here.

"America?s most reliable high-speed wireless broadband network from
Verizon Wireless delivers fast data speeds and great performance, with
typical download speeds of 400 ? 700 Kbps and typical upload speeds of
60 ? 80Kbps."

This is a quote from that webpage. It's closer to reality than the
3Mbps speeds the fanbois always tell you. Directly tethered to a USB
port is faster than through bluetooth, ESPECIALLY if you have other
bluetooth devices like headsets running within 100' of you. Internet
crawls on bluetooth in a crowded restaurant from the interference.

Why Verizon charges DOUBLE for using a simple phone over a PDA is a
mystery. I suppose it's because the PDA is ALREADY paying through the
nose for its little 5GB/month, so you only need to pay half again as
much for the same 5GB/month you already had just to connect to a USB
cable....a real ripoff either way.

Is Cricket available in your city? Truly unlimited internet is only
$40/mo on Cricket through a USB modem plugged directly into your laptop.
It's only $35/mo if you have a Cricket phone plan. Cricket has very
limited areas, but if it will do the trick for you it's a great deal.
I'm using Cricket through a cellular router, making my car into a
hotspot for about 200' wherever I go. When the little modem has a
signal, in the Cricket coverage areas, it's very fast as there are few
data users on Cricket, which is mostly a cheap phone carrier. Their
system gets larger and larger every month.

http://www.mycricket.com/cricketplans/details/broadband

They say they may throttle your service over 5GB/month, but last month
my usage was around 22GB and it ran as fast as ever all month. They're
just covering their ass in case the load increases so noone has a court
case. They've not complained of my usage at all and seem happy I'm a
customer....trying to get me to churn to their phone service.

  • Cricket and Cradlepoint - The Mobile hotspot
    ... my cable modem cap! ... The A600 self-installs the Cricket handler on any ... but the Cradlepoint is a really nice professionally- ... There's even special setups for games and gamers. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Cricket wireless broadband USB modem
    ... I am working on an embedded Linux project that would be much nicer ... (and I've never heard of a wireless modem; ... compared to an USB interface like the Cricket unit. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: mobile phone for internet, what is right choice?
    ... has build-in modem for GPRS. ... bluetooth adapter; it works reasonably well. ... If you don't have a bluetooth adapter I assume that using the phone's usb ... a wireless connection to my computer simultaneously, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Apple USB modem causes iMac core duo kernel panic.
    ... Modem is good - they both were - tested on other machines. ... an ordinary app which loads on startup, does something which the USB modem software doesn't like. ... When I got Apple USB modems for the office, I expected that there might be trouble if I attached then by a hub, so I tried that first thing. ... Apple tech bumped me up to the 2nd level when I called in after 2 kernel panics and system freezes everytime i tried to dialup using the apple usb external modem. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)
  • Re: How do I insrtall XP from scratch?
    ... drives that plug into a USB, ... The USB cable limits the rate. ... Personally, I like Win98 ... modems, each purchased for working with different modem pool types. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)