Re: End of AMPS next month?
- From: SMS <scharf.steven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:19:51 -0800
D. Stussy wrote:
"Edgar" <edgar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes True. I have received three letters from Verizon in the past coupleofmonths warning me that as of Feb. 18, 2008 all three phones I have thatareanalog only will be disconnected if I don't upgrade to a digital phone.is
They will be turned off on that date PERIOD.
What other analog capable carriers do will remain to be seen, but Verizonpulling the plug immediately on Feb 18th.
AT&T Wireless (whatever they call themselves now as it seems to change every
few months) is also pulling the plug next month. I know one of their local
tower/site maintainers who confirmed it (at least for Southern California).
They have a very big incentive to get rid of it, since they have very few customers still with AMPS-capable phones. I roam onto their AMPS network occasionally, in places like the Florida Everglades. No digital coverage at all in many parts of the Everglades, GSM or CDMA or iDEN, but AMPS reaches a long way over flat ground without obstacles. Alas, that coverage will likely be gone next month, despite the FCC's rules. If anyone complains that they weren't allowed to turn off AMPS until digital provided equivalent coverage, they'll say that they never claimed to cover those areas that lost coverage.
- Prev by Date: Re: It seems like verizon is at the verge of becoming extinct...
- Next by Date: Re: It seems like verizon is at the verge of becoming extinct...
- Previous by thread: Re: End of AMPS next month?
- Next by thread: Re: End of AMPS next month?