Signal Strength - Competing Cells - Constructive/Destructive Interference

I am trying to understand why I get such a variable signal (1 tower -
5 towers - 1 tower in the same 1-2 minutes) and so many dropped calls
on my LG VX3200. I'm otherwise very satisfied with the performance of
the phone and just purchased an extended battery for mine and my
wife's to extend their working lifetime.

Yesterday I did a bit of experimentation and walked through the
neighborhood. I saw 5 tower signal strength everywhere I checked. I
walked across the street to the end of my driveway and the signal
plummeted to 1 tower and began to fluctuate. This is 20' from the
nearest part of the house.

As I stood there I thought about how the signal can be seen as
wavelike. There must be points near the border between two cell towers
where the competing signals engage in constructive and destructive
interference. Verizon can claim that they have the space covered with
a strong signal (which I saw as I walked through the neighborhood) but
I can experience the drifting of signal strength as a result of 2
competing cells.

Does this analysis make sense?

If the phone can measure signal strength, it would seem as though it
would be easy to construct a device which measures signal strength and
stores it on a flash memory card for download to Excel. Are such
devices made? It would seem that it would be in Verizon's interest to
be able to loan such a device to a subscriber to place at various
points in the service area to gather data on the quality of the
signal.

Any comments?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

  • Re: hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11
    ... Andit is louder than most signals put ... filling in one of his molars. ... The BBC used to operated a long wave transmitter in ... WSM in Nashville has another Blaw-Knox tower. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11
    ... signals put through the woofer itself?? ... The BBC used to operated a long wave transmitter ... Supposedly, the filling acts as a simple diode detector, and if the ... WSM in Nashville has another Blaw-Knox tower. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: How do you design these days?
    ... three TV stations. ... One online site tells me that there are no DTV signals unless my ... I have about 60 feet of tower in storage ... Transmitter was in Lisbon, Fl. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: grundig g3 initial reactions
    ... Sync detect functionality is poor, working best on only the strong ... An unstable local oscillator modulated by the micro variations in supply voltage due to audio load will make some SSB signals difficult to read. ... BFO will not be as clean as, say, sync on in coming audio, because the phase of the BFO is not fixed to the incoming carrier frequency as it is with sync. ... you'll hear craft aloft before you'll hear ground radio from the local FBO's or the tower. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: Signal Strength - Competing Cells - Constructive/Destructive Interference
    ... baumgrenze wrote: ... I saw 5 tower signal strength everywhere I checked. ... where the competing signals engage in constructive and destructive ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)