Re: Pls Confirm: VZW does not allow DUN using minutes?
- From: "Peter Pan" <PeterPanNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:26:01 -0400
Hey Buddy.. I'll sell you the secret on how to do it for only $99 paid to my
paypal account :)
C C wrote:
In new VZW phones capable of DUN, if you don't subscribe to a feature
which makes the phone "as Modem", then your phone, even though
capable of DUN will not have the feature to dial up to any network
(VZW or your own ISP). That's what the VZW reps have told me!!!!!
"Dave Rudisill" <denali@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"C C" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I went to a VZW store yesterday and was told by the sales rep that
new plans/contracts now do not allow tethering (or using the phone
as a modem to
your ISP) without a data plan. He further says, if your phone is
DUN but you don't have a data plan, and you use the phone as a
modem to your
ISP, you can be cut off by VZW it you are caught doing it. IS THIS
Here are the current Internet speculations on the matter:
1. "Don't use it too much and Verizon won't care." In reading
thousands of messages on the subject, I have never seen a first-hand
report of someone reporting being "caught" for excessive DUN usage,
with the exception of those who--get this--are actually paying for a
data plan. There have been published reports of Verizon cutting off
folks with "unlimited" data plans when they exceed 10 GB/month.
2. "Don't tell Verizon you want to do this, or they will disable DUN
on your account." This has probably happened occasionally, but many
of us have called VZW tech support for help with DUN and not been
cut off. It certainly would be wise to avoid discussing it with them
if you can avoid it. If you see a posting by anyone claiming to know
what instructions Verizon customer service reps get on this issue,
refer him to the following group for like-minded people:
3. "Buy the $5/month Mobile Web account, then cancel it the next
month. Your account will still have DUN ability afterwards." I plan
to try this one myself. I have seen one first-hand report of it
working, and one first-hand report of it not working. Can't hurt to
try. 4. "Verizon doesn't have the software to detect free data usage." If
you believe that, you have never worked in IT for a large
corporation. 5. "Verizon is about to cut off all minutes-of-use access to
This one has been around since Christ left Chicago. I was even told
this by VZW customer service rep. That was two years ago. Who knows
what evil lurks in the hearts of Verizon Wireless? I don't.
In the mean time, go ahead an use it. If they "cut you off", so what?
- Prev by Date: Re: V3M + MPT4 + BT dongle = I can edit contacts, but not tones/pics?
- Next by Date: Re: Samsung a950 - I just want a decent ringtone. How do I put on in?
- Previous by thread: Re: Pls Confirm: VZW does not allow DUN using minutes?
- Next by thread: Re: Pls Confirm: VZW does not allow DUN using minutes?