Re: Using Cingular 2125 as USB modem with Laptop...

It can be used as a modem to dial into any dial-up ISP.... I've tried
my AOL account using a local number... From an end users perspective it
works in exactly the same way as a modem in that it allows you to dial
into ISP that are accessible though land line dial ups.... The
technicals details of how that's done over GSM network are beyond what
the average end user needs to know.

As I said, I've dialed into my AOL account using a local AOL access
number.... so if you believe it can't do that, you are mistaken the
Cingular 2125 can and I've successfully done it.. there is no land line
involved, the phone doesn't have a land line jack so no... technically
it's not a "modem" in the way you describe.. but the manufacturer
includes a "modem driver" on the device it's called "ModemLink".

Again, the average user is abstracted from the technical jargon of how
all these is accomplished over GSM... We don't care, we just want the
thing to work and we want the cell provider to be able to support their
services and hardware.

DecaturTxCowboy wrote:
Jeremy.Deats@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Point is it is being
advertised that way and in the manul in fact it states you can use the
modem over EDGE network. This is a fact.

Depends what is *is* situation.

No, it can't be used as a modem where a modem is defined as a
data MOulator/DEModulator of an audio signal.

No, it can't be used as a modem to dial into any ISP or any other far
end modem.

Yes, it can be used as a modem where a modem is described as a way that
Windows makes a data connection.

Yes, it can be used as a virtual modem to connect to a Cingular
resource. When doing so, it will have the same look and feel as an
internal or external modem. *THAT* is the reference that the Cingualr
manual is referring to.

On a side note, the connection to Cingular with a tethered handset is
installed as a "modem", but with a PC card its a "network connection"

  • Re: Security Question
    ... Unplug your modem when you leave and see if you are still ... having problems calling home. ... >software is capable of auto-answering an incoming call. ... >If your AOL account is being accessed from your computer ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Using Cingular 2125 as USB modem with Laptop...
    ... They've been out there for a while, Cingular could ... First John, you are incorrect because the device can work as a modem, ... GPRS with Cingular's data network or CSD ("dial-up" like when you ... the connection, or there will be no actual analog modem at the carrier's ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)
  • Re: Using Cingular 2125 as USB modem with Laptop...
    ... you can't expect support when you're not paying ... Users Manual on the HTC website (link from Cingular, ... mobile phone can't be a modem, yada, yada.... ... modem over EDGE network. ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)
  • Re: Using Cingular 2125 as USB modem with Laptop...
    ... you can't expect support when you're not paying ... Users Manual on the HTC website (link from Cingular, ... mobile phone can't be a modem, yada, yada.... ... modem over EDGE network. ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)
  • Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.
    ... with the use of a dial-up analog modem at their "headquarters" for a CSD ... participant in the connection. ... away from cingular internet service all together and just tap into my ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)