Re: Slow Data Transfers?

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:58:54 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
<caf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am evaluating an Ipaq 6515 on Cingular with data plan.
I've been testing with FTP with disappointing results,
slower than dialup.

I thought the data plans were supposed to be much faster.

Hey, Forsberg!

Any word on former MicroCornucopians these days?

re: cellular data

I used to use Sierra 750 and Merlin G100 aircards, both
get 45-70kbits with decent signal quality. Recently upgraded
to Sierra 775, and have seen 170kbits in Edge coverage
areas.

Don't know specifics of Ipaq's; how many 'voice channels'
are they set up to use? One voice channel equals roughly
9.6kbits, the earlier aircards I mentioned use FOUR. And
I'm not sure how the Edge cards get what amounts to the
equivalent of nearly twenty.

I think I've heard Compact Flash sized aircards can
also run Edge - can your Ipaq take one?

Phones are no good for serious data transfer - they are
pretty much limited to one voice channel. One thing I
really like is getting the radar maps, with the power out,
and tornadoes/ hail in the area. (weatherunderground)

Bill

.