Corolla 1993 LX trans

May I ask for your expert opinion please?

This is a 1993 Corolla 1.776 L with the LE converter and electric-
switched overdrive. Odometer reads 399,800 km. At least since 2000,
the transmission has not been serviced - it may never have been.

The fluid looks clear red, not burned and usually shows as full, Now it
shows slightly over the full mark (none has been added).

Lately, on an intermittent basis, when starting from cold sometimes the
transmission is slow to shift up. When stopped and put into reverse, it
may thump as the drive engages suddenly.

On one or two occasions when driving at suburban speeds around 70 km/h,
the car has momentarily gone out of overdrive possibly into 3rd or 2nd
gear. Sometimes I have seen the dashboard warning light 'overdrive
turned off' illuminated momentarily.

Can you suggest what is causing this, and what checks I need to make to
diagnose the problem? This car is 19 and an old friend.

Thankyou for your help,

Jack

  • Re: Dodge Dynasty engine locked
    ... Started car fine, went back in office for a few. ... there's no such thing as a "slight" transmission alignment problem- it ... and "jams the pump"- the converter has to be rotated and pushed all the ... there are sets of splines that must be meshed inside the converter, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: Dodge Dynasty engine locked
    ... Started car fine, went back in office for a few. ... there's no such thing as a "slight" transmission alignment problem- it ... and "jams the pump"- the converter has to be rotated and pushed all the ... there are sets of splines that must be meshed inside the converter, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)
  • Re: 1985 380SE 144K miles, Tachometer dead
    ... it would be nice to know everything about any used car. ... engine overhaul I'll be satisfied. ... transmission myself, I've found kits for about $200.00. ... Discovered some time after we bought it that the odometer had been switched ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • Re: 01 Carbio Automatic Trans Help Adptive Trans
    ... How can they check the converter. ... transmission download? ... might have a bad or loose engine mount that is transmitting the vibrations ... and movement of the engine to the car instead of properly insulating the ...
    (rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled)
  • Re: 97 SW1 - Synchro bad in manual transmission???
    ... Bought car from Fargo, ND Saturn dealer in Oct 97 with 65 miles on it. ... the on the transmission shifter cable went ... independent shop almost 100 miles away. ... Do you speed shift or shift without using the clutch? ...
    (rec.autos.makers.saturn)