Re: OT - Obama: Robots good. ATMs bad.

"Hachiroku ????" <Trueno@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4e068407$0$9707$c3e8da3$1cbc7475@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:36:46 -0500, NotMe wrote:

"Hachiroku ????" <Trueno@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:54:10 -0500, NotMe wrote:

"Conscience" <obama.is@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Last week he blamed the advent of ATMs for the loss of bank teller
jobs.
This week, he flipped his flop. Robots apparently are out there
be
made so as to mow lawns and scrape paint.

Incredible.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/25/obama-touts-advanced-manufacturing-as-jobs-engine-in-radio-address/?test=latestnews

Automobiles put horses out to pasture. Left the makers of buggy
whips
and
saddles as excess labor. But we ended up with a lot of mechanics
working
on
cars, folk running gas stations and convenience stores. Look at
the
number
of folk working at MickyD's drive up windows.

Robots take programmers, ETs to work on them and folk to sell the
things.

As to ATMs those became lucrative profit centers for Bank and
Finical
institutions some of whom have made it expensive to deal with a
live
person.

Yeah, we know that. But the President is saying ATMs cost LOSS of
jobs,
of course, being the Empty Suit he is, not realizing it takes people
install and maintain them at higher salaries than bank tellers.

But, hey, the guy's just a Harvard graduate.

How many troops are required to maintain a fleet of ATMs? Even the
folk
the
refill the machines with $$ are far fewer then the number of bank
tellers.
BTW ATMs are a profit center for the Banks/Financial institutions.
Bank
tellers are not

You, like him, missed the point.

Bank tellers are low paying jobs. Installers, maintainers,
programmers,
etc are higher paying jobs.

Real world they are not that well paying jobs and there are far fewer
of
those occupations than there are for bank tellers. Last and most
important
ATM's are profit centers where as tellers are an expense item. That is
the
key to the entire reason for ATM's vs tellers.

I make $35 an hour servicing cash machines.

Works for me!

Keep sticking up for the Empty Suit.

Not stick up for empty suit just stating the obvious reality. As to $35
per
hour I'd say you're working cheap but then I'm retired (still do some
consulting and special projects but can afford to be a very expensive and
bit a** holey about the process.)

As example I don't fly commercial. Client wants me on site it's either
pay
for an RV and pay me for my travel time or hire a charter.

Not missing any income as a result but kinda hate that the client staff
has
to travel so much. A few bring their S.O. as they are allowed to lay
over
on the weekends (cheaper flights). So we do the rodeos and BBQ

Are you in an industry that displaces other workers?

Not currently. I'm a Seagull someone that 'flys' in, takes a dump on
everyone's ideas and flys out. i.e. a consultant/hired gun, trouble shooter.
I take failing projects and to a lesser extent failing companies/operations
and put snap in their shorts. Basically I've made all the mistakes ...
once.

In essence I'm paid to inform folk their daughters are ugly and their sons
stupid but in a manner that makes then grateful enough that they pay me for
the enlightenment.

.

Quantcast