Re: '97 Avalon heated mirrors

One more thing - you might want to talk to a glass shop about cutting
you a new mirror. The heating elements are not in the glass, they are
in the plate that holds the glass. I once had the glass replaced in a
heated mirror by a glass shop and it worked OK. Might not be the ideal
solution, but probably probably cheaper than buying a piece of glass
from Toyota for $34 + shipping.

Ed
"C. E. White" <cewhite3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The online Toyota parts catalog lists heated mirrors for US
built1997 Avalons. See http://tinyurl.com/ykqo925. For US built
Avalons, the catalog lists replacement glass. For US built Avalons
see http://tinyurl.com/yhokxn2. They do not list replacement glass
or mirror assemblies for Japanese built Avalons, although the
section titles indicates these existed (but then don't list anything
for parts).

What sort of glass coverage do you have? I have 100% coverage on
glass replacement and it covers mirrors. My sister once lost an
outside wing mirror that was hit by a bird and it was 100% covered
by her glass coverage. Worth a check.

Ed

"Jules Richardson" <jules.richardsonnewsmoo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:hpcrdc$p1q$6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wife has a '97 Avalon with a broken driver's side mirror (shroud
and
adjustment mechanism are fine, just the mirror's cracked). The
broken one
is heated (and the mechanism has a six-pin connector inside the
door) -
but all the replacements I can find online are non-heated (and the
mechanism have a four-pin connector).

I wonder if the wife's car has a few cold-climate extras (we're in
northern MN) and that's why her mirrors are heated even though
online
searches seem to suggest they weren't available for Avalons of that
year.

Anyway, anyone happen to know if Camrys from that era share the
same
mirror? Maybe I can widen my search a bit; maybe late-90s Camry
ones did
come with heater elements.

(One other annoyance: I can easily get "just the mirror" part off
the
motorised section, but most places want to sell the whole assembly
at $$$
- shame there aren't any suitable donor cars in the junkyards
around
here!)

cheers

Jules

  • Re: 97 Avalon heated mirrors
    ... Avalons, the catalog lists replacement glass. ... outside wing mirror that was hit by a bird and it was 100% ... 1997 Avalon came straight from the Toyota Parts catalog. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Cutting mirror with glass cutter...?
    ... type of mirror be cut with a plain glass gutter, ... Also, can a a mirror be run trough a glass grinder, or does the ... the acids of soldering flux will eat ... I'm currently working on copper foil, since I have a prefrence for ...
    (rec.crafts.glass)
  • Re: Newbie seeking advice on mirror grinding
    ... But you can try the "pencil test" after hogging out with 80 to ensure ... across the mirror and tool with a soft pencil. ... Lower one piece of glass gently onto the other then rub the tool gently ... it is to try and smooth with finer abrasives when your oak is still ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: Wow, 10/8 for the LOTR LE release!
    ... Mirror Glass Back Glass / Gold Treatment on Glass ... Several Extra Coats of Clearcoat on the Playfield ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Newbie seeking advice on mirror grinding
    ... > across the mirror and tool with a soft pencil. ... > Lower one piece of glass gently onto the other then rub the tool gently ... > it is to try and smooth with finer abrasives when your oak is still ... Then I'll do the pencil test until its more ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)