Re: 03 Camry auto. cold shift problem?

<JW> wrote in message news:c74kt1d1rgbgn4qrj6lac22npt95jmddut@xxxxxxxxxx
>I recently purchased this vehicle, 4 cylinder, automatic trans. with
> 102,000 miles. I have noticed when the engine is cold, the
> transmission won't do a 2-3 or 3-4 shift, I'm not sure which, until
> the temp gauge is most of the way up to normal. There is a 4 lane
> highway about a 1/4 of a mile from the house, so the engine doesn't
> get a chance to warm up till after I'm running on the highway and go
> about 2 miles. Just to check, I ran it up to 70 mph and 4000 rpm
> yesterday and it still wouldn't shift until the heat gauge came up.
> All other shifts seem flawless and almost unnoticed. It never does
> this again after warming up. Is this usual?

As badegolferman pointed out, this is normal operation for your car. The
transmission will not shift into overdrive until the engine warms up. This
helps the engine warm up to operating temperature more quickly.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

  • Re: Why have bicycle components advanced so much more rapidly than automobiles in the last half-
    ... A good autobox mated to an engine with enough torque ... who don't think God made those little Japanese and Italian cars ... My objection is the jerk when they shift; ... rather than wet nurse an automatic transmission. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: 03 Camry auto. cold shift problem?
    ... > 102,000 miles. ... I have noticed when the engine is cold, ... stages of starting to stay open when the car is cold or opening too soon. ... I'm not a mechanic and your problem might be in the transmission itself so ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Ping Don Foreman: ICD Alert
    ... sufficient to overcome even the V6 engine at WOT and stop the car. ... She clearly stated that she was able to shift into each of the car's ... gears and that doing so had no effect on the problem. ... With a Lexus transmission, presumably an automatic, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Transmission trouble
    ... check engine light came on and the "o/d off" light started flashing. ... a 1995 Lexus ES300 with 180K miles on it. ... If thetransmissionfluid on the dipstick is black or brown ... in the rest of the transmission. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Shifting the 2008 Accord EXL auto like a manual
    ... You are causing 20 times the amount of wear in your transmission ... "To shift from Second to First, press the release button on the ... road speed, engine speed, engine coolant temperature and throttle ... The PCM effects automatic gear changes by powering/depowering ...
    (rec.autos.makers.honda)