Re: Defective dipstick 1998 Avalon

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:xn0eh17n55ekfo8000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Danny L., 1/9/2006,8:45:08 AM, wrote:

I have a somewhat bizzare problem, which is that my dipstick doesn't
read accurately anymore.  I seem to get a long thin trail up about
half the length of the dipstick, instead of a nice solid reading at
the bottem where it's supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure this started when I got it back from a shop in the
summer, I'm afraid they may have overfilled my engine oil?  Anyways,
when I did my own change last month, I let it drain a long time and
very carefully filled to what the engine + filter capacity is.  The
car has never burned oil, so I'm not worried about the level getting
low, but I would prefer to have a functioning dipstick.

Any thoughts on causes / cures?

What do you think the capacity is? The six-cylinder takes at least 5 quarts. I would say let it sit for an hour or so before determining the true level.

Back in the Olden Days when gas was $0.32 per gallon, and the guy at the station checked the oil and filled the tires all while the gas was pumping, we got a pretty good reading off of the dipstick in under 2 minutes. Yes, there were some jerks out there that would "short stick" to sell a quart that wasn't needed, but people with integrity could see if that quart was truly needed in the time it takes to ask, "may I help you?" then go start the pump and raise the hood.

The correct method of reading any dipstick is to pull the stick and wipe it off, put it back in, then pull it out again and read it. It is common that oil will migrate up the stick while the engine is running, which can cause the oil to be pulled along the side of the stick.

The other possibility is the dipstick is not seating properly.  You
might even try another Toyota vehicle's dipstick that is the same model
as yours.

That's a possibility, but this would result in a short reading, not one where the dip stick reader would be concerned that there was too much oil. Of course, if the stick was not seated well and the person reading the stick responded by adding a quart, then the level would be high, but this wouldn't cause the oil to be drug up the side of the stick.

  • Re: auto mainspring
    ... Google "mazda3 dipstick" and you'll see I'm not the ... only one who has had problems reading it. ... dipstick is a Ford part (it's a Ford engine also - Ford owns a controlling ... in the olden days i drove my Honda until the oil light started to ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: OT How much oil is too much?
    ... and I thought it looked about a half quart too low. ... I am told that too much oil is bad too. ... When the engine is running, a lot of that oil is in circulation around the ... have a true reading of how much oil is in there, ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Celica Drinking Oil (Is this even possible)
    ... how much mileage are you actually getting per quart? ... description of "half the dipstick" is a bit nebulous. ... What kind of shape is the air cleaner in? ... the oil along the road, but not so much when parked. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: Defective dipstick 1998 Avalon
    ... trail up about half the length of the dipstick, ... To me that means the dipstick tube has some oil along the walls and is ... the dipstick would have a solid line reading higher than the normal ... he isn't even putting in 5 quarts. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Mystery oil consumption - 2002 Highlander V6
    ... Just as I was arriving home from work, I saw the low oil pressure light blip on for a moment. ... to make it easy to see the oil on the dipstick. ... Any idea where the 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles is going? ... So the oil consumption rate is 2,000 miles per quart of oil, not 5,000 miles per quart as I thought previously. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)