Re: Tires

195 is the tread width, sorta. It is really the cross section, but when 195
changes, the tread width becomes narrower or wider depending on which way
the change is. It is safe to call 195 the treadwidth, however this is
technically not accurate. But I digress. The number is a measurment in
millimeters

70 is the percentage of the tread width that equals the sidewall height.
This number is referred to as the Aspect Ratio.

And, 14 is the rim diameter, in inches.

You have a relative narrow tire and can easily accomodate a little more
width if you observe the offset of the rim. If you have too little offset,
the rims will allow the tire to stike the fenders, too much and the rim can
collide with suspension components. Measure offset back of the mounting
surface to the centerline of the wheel. An easier measurement location would
be from the back of the mounting surface to the edge of the rim, but that is
not the way they do it for some reason. The result is the same, but the
measurement is different. If the measurement is to the centerline, then a
relative narrow rim width and a wider rim width can be compared because the
change in a 7" rim to an 8" rim will put the additional 1/2 inch on each
side of the centerline, and an offset of 40, for example, will remain a
constant. One method of measurement results in offset, the other gives
backspacing. You tire shop will be able to confirm this, or set you
straight. Either way, it is an important consideration to keep in mind.

You have a 195, and I suggested a 215. The difference is 20mm, which is
about 3/4 inch. It is actually a little over 3/4 inch, perhaps closer to 7/8
inch. A 215/45x17 is a very common tire size that should be around for a
long time. It is the standard size tire on the Scion tC from the early years
(I'm not sure if the tC is still fitted with that size or not.)

I do not know what the width of the rim is that you have now, but a 215/45
should fit onto a 7JJ without any trouble. Rims are designated 7JJ, 7.5JJ,
8JJ, and so on, to denote the width. I think, but am not certain, that JJ is
the shape of the bead area, and this is for all practical purposes the
standard used for USA-destination cars. So, if your current rim is a 7JJx14,
then a 7JJx17 will be a direct replacement. All you have to match is the
offset. Again, your tire professionals can help you alot with this.
www.tirerack.com is an excellent resource, by the way. They might even have
the various fitments for your car already loaded into a spreadsheet...

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
A 215/45x17 is a direct replacement of the 195/70x14s that you have now.

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
So, the 2002 came with 165-13 rims, which were okay until I could no
longer
get 165-13 tires. That's when I replaced them with some newer rims from
(I think) a 328, which take 195/70R14 tires which were fine for a long
time.

Now I'm finding it difficult to get anything in 195/70R14.... I really
liked
the Goodyear F-1s but they don't make them in that size any more. The
Aquatreads were okay, a little hard and a little skittery on grooved
pavement
but okay. But, they don't make them in that size any more. So I went
with
the Michelin Hydro-Edge, which wasn't bad. But, although they claim to
make
it in that size, they don't actually ship any and they have been
backordered
at the distributor since November 2009. So, I tried a Sumitomo tire,
which
was discontinued almost days after I put them on.

Is it time for me to change rims again. If so, any recommendations?
--scott

  • Re: Thumb test
    ... The net force of air pressure acting on the full width of the tire ... at the bulge is greater than the force of air pressure on the rim ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tire puzzler
    ... "Under load, in the ground contact zone, the tire bulges so that two effects ... the most obvious one is that the casing pulls more to the sides than ... The tire casing (and its pull on the rim) can be taken completely out of the ... Consider a rim with just the inner tube installed on it. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tire blow off
    ... tire bulging wider than the rim. ... That same tension pulls on the tire bead ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tubular question - re-glue during mileage
    ... tours in the Alps because on a long tour a new tire could be in the ...  I and these other riders carried a a tube of rim cement ... whether one of these tubes of glue were used or not. ... apply rim cement to the base tape in anticipation of using it on the road ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tubular question - re-glue during mileage
    ... tours in the Alps because on a long tour a new tire could be in the ... I and these other riders carried a a tube of rim cement ... whether one of these tubes of glue were used or not. ... apply rim cement to the base tape in anticipation of using it on the road or did one carry a tube of rim cement and not tamper with a new tire. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)