Re: How long do BMWs last? Danger of buying used?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 02:30:16 +1300, adder1969 <adder1969@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 20, 3:32 am, kpb <kennykab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 16, 7:55 pm, "Choam Nomsky" <Bubbbbbb...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A very big DITTO... you cannot depend on the Stealer to work on your car.

> "adder1969" <adder1...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > On Oct 15, 9:13 pm, kpb <kennykab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Went for a ride in a BMW coupe the other day "E46" with sport
> >> package. Wow, what a car. 325 Ci.

> >> 2. Is there a danger in buying a used BMW which is "non-certified"?
> >> ie are there parts that go bad but are hard to spot for the layman?

> > There's not much special attention that a BMW needs over any other
> > car. As with most cars, oil changes are the most important thing. I
> > bought a certified car from BMW but there were still things wrong with
> > it. Looking back, I'd had rather paid less for a non-certified car
> > and used the money for fixing things if necessary.

> >>From my experience, and many others, the danger of buying a BMW with
> > the intention of having BMW do any servicing etc is that you'll turn
> > into an angry and bitter person having to deal with the monkeys at the
> > dealerships.

> --

Who can you depend on to work on your car if not a dealer? Wouldn't
they know the most about it and what it needs? I would think there
would be enough dealers that you'd be able to find a competent one.-

You'd have thought so but I've been through about 4 so far.

Couldn't agree more. Got a '93 325i so needs a little more care than something new. Took my car to a quality independent, came out performing shedloads better than when it went in i.e. putting my foot down in sport mode now scares me... in a good way, plus mileage was improved by around 25%

  • Do-Nothing Democrats Shove German Auto Industry Into the Abyss
    ... consequences of the financial crisis. ... Norbert Reithofer, the 52-year-old chief executive of BMW, is ... it is the purchase of a car. ... Opel is not the only German carmaker seeking government assistance. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Auto Wipers
    ... Google 'BMW swirl flaps' and you will find out more. ... confused how the swirlflap issue relates to engine oil. ... car is driven, and extended oil changes. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • OT:UK driver "trapped" in his BMW 318 going 130 mph for 60 miles?! It was a automtic too! (ladies
    ... Also McLaren should start using BMW 4-cylinder engines cause this one ... A motorist was trapped in his car driving at almost 130mph for 60 miles ... Kevin Nicolle, 25, was unable to stop the automatic BMW going at top ... the police. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Jerks who run you off the road
    ... It's a no-win situation since he could always strike the bike ... Then he shoots on ahead and then cuts me off with maybe 3 feet of room. ... didn't want it because they threw the rock at my car on an offramp ... ... Seems like all the crap starts when I'm on the BMW. ...
    (rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Auto Wipers
    ... Google 'BMW swirl flaps' and you will find out more. ... confused how the swirlflap issue relates to engine oil. ... car is driven, and extended oil changes. ... But, I agree, old carburettor engines in poor tune, or with too much 'choke' irritate my ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)