Re: Help: E28 Turns Over But Won't "Catch" After 6 Mos Sitting

On Sat, 12 May 2007 05:46:39 GMT, Scoobey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Help! My '85 535i had a dead battery and sat for 6 mos (under a car cover).
Now the battery's good, 1/4 tank of good gas, turns over just fine but the
engine won't catch. I've jiggled all the fuses, disconnected and reconnected
the battery negative cable to reset the computers, still just runs the
starter without catching. I know there's a ton of info out there on "no
start" problems, but I'm hoping the fact that it ran great before it sat so
long will help rule out some of the possible problems. Where do I begin?
TIA!! Scoobey

Sounds like a dealer re-program ???

  • Re: Gasohol Problem?
    ... The Atomic 4 I had was very similar to my 1947 John Deere M tractor engine, ... little oil down each spark plug hole, drain out that OLD gas and go. ... gasoline left in the tank. ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: Generator Thoughts
    ... every tank of gas it will also help prevent clogged carbs. ... evaporate and ignite easily when the engine is cold. ... generator, 1200 watt generator, weed whacker, rototiller, chainsaw, leaf ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: can bad gasoline affect idle speed?
    ... Fresh gas. ... >>> tank is a good idea if the bike is going to sit for awhile. ... The 6 carbs were a nasty mess. ... call that the engine that raises the bridge would not start. ...
    (rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Reluctant engine start
    ... the tiny carbs. ... Gas doesn't "go bad" unless you let the tank ... There's a 1987 Honda 5KW genset in my shed that has gas in it ... If you're going to run the engine a lot and leave it in place, ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: fuel stabilizer
    ... What you are not telling us is what kind of engine you have. ... mainly because the oil in the gas helps to prevent this. ... I'm sceptical about that one because the gas in the underground tank ... coefficient of thermal expansion for liquid gasoline versus gasoline vapors. ...
    (rec.boats)