Re: E34 535i - Overheating

I don't know what speedflush is but thi smight be a little better.

When you flush your cooling system you want to get rid of two things,
oils and rust/scale.

First run a cupfool of tide (or similar) liquid laundry detergent. This
cuts all the oils out. Flush with water. Now you can attack the rust
and scale with some chemical that can actually get to it now that
they're no longer being shielded by an oily barrier.

The safest and stongest chemical to use is citric acid or "sour salt".
Any good Mercedes dealer has an auuterly charming white plactic
cannister they sell the stuff in as radiator flush. It's not actually
not that expensive and is a damn convenient plance to keep it. A paper
or plastic bag of a random caustic white power is not cool.

You won't have to do this twice. It works reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good.

If you're still having a problem a bottle of Redline water wetter
will increase the efficiency of your cooling system. A lot of friends
in the US south swear by this stuff although it sounds like you may
not need it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

  • Re: Cooling system flush
    ... At what mileage should I consider a cooling system ... I would flush it earlier anyways since I am in Arizona and cooling ... "Genuine Toyota SUPER LONG-LIFE Coolant" would work in his ... Corolla to extend change times to only once every 5 years? ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: 300CD Running hot on highway
    ... Flushing a rad in a Mercedes is not unlike flushing the ... FLush with water. ... Mercedes sells a pretty plastic container of rad flush. ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • 94 Chevy S10
    ... heater coil. ... I also had them change the thermostat and flush the ... cooling system. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: Difficult to Replace Radiator 300CD-T?
    ... They rank ... right up there with 108 heater cores in "oh no" factor. ... As long as you have the rad out, when you get it back in flush the rest ... Need Mercedes parts? ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • Re: flushing of cooling system---different ways?
    ... all generally charge around $100 for a "flush", ... A chemical flush actually CAUSES a certain amount of corrosion along with dissolving the corrosion by-products that are causing the problem, so it should be avoided unless there is already severe corrosion and plugging in the system. ... The best way to keep a cooling system healthy is to keep it full and keep a good radiator cap on it to keep it as nearly sealed as possible. ... And when you do a coolant change, drain the block as well as the radiator. ...
    (rec.autos.tech)