Re: 745LI speedo problems?

liteflyer 1 wrote:
thanks for the reponse. I plan on checking the speedo out by using a
pace car with a known good speedo.

You'd be better off using a GPS if you want to know the actual speed. If you're just trying to acertain that your speedo is "normal" than you can compare it as you say.

As to the brake lights, every car I
have ever had or seen, the brake and other lights in general always
worked without the ignition being on. The lights have always been an
indepentant system from the ignition, at least on US cars. If someone
is on the side of the road or the ignition fails and you hit the
brakes, they should work as well as the brake lights. It is a safety
issue.

I don't get it. Yes, I've noticed that the brake lights worked without the key on some US made cars , but I fail to see how this is a "safety issue". To begin with, the ignition failing is a very rare occurrance. And if/when it does, it would be when you attempt to start the car, not while it is running down the road. In the rare circumstance that the ignition switch did fail while underway, your main problem would be lack of power assist to the brakes and steering, not whether the brake lights were coming on...

I havn't checked it out yet, but this could mean that the em
flashers will not work if the ignition is off.

You will find the emergency flashers (aka hazards) work just fine with the key removed.

David

--
-Fred W

  • Re: 745LI speedo problems?
    ... every car I ... indepentant system from the ignition, ... they should work as well as the brake lights. ... As the emergency flashers are independent of the ignition on my Z4, ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: 745LI speedo problems?
    ... every car I ... indepentant system from the ignition, ... they should work as well as the brake lights. ... Flashers working with the ignition off would be a pain too - all to easy ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: 745LI speedo problems?
    ... As to the brake lights, every car I ... indepentant system from the ignition, ... they should work as well as the brake lights. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: Focus 05 1.8 TDCi -- Red cog warning light.
    ... It's RED, your car is going to explode, your children will die, your house burn to the ground and all your other relatives get a range of awful diseases. ... See my example from the VW Polo, where a light flashing for a short time then resetting means you`re setup for your brake lights to fail at a random time in the future. ... Since the fault is intermittent, the light only flashes intermittently, until the switch is entirely broken. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Oops! Re: Silicone Lube - What is this shit?
    ... When I sprayed this silicone, ... leave the key in the ignition when the car is in the garage. ... Jeffry Wisnia ...
    (alt.home.repair)