Re: 1991 318is overheating

"John Burns" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:438A336C.1694@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 1) Nice car :-)

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the engine isn't an M42. I think it's either an
E30 or an E36 - but I don't know how to tell the difference. 1991 was
apparently a weird year; even the dealers can't tell for sure which parts it
takes unless they _see_ it - not even from the VIN#.

> 2) Join www.bmwcca.org, your local chapter will tell you about a good
> independant specialiast and you'll get the best car magazine your ever
> likely to read!

Thanks for the tip. :^)

> 3) M42s have a timing case profile gasket between the front of the head
> and block. You need to remove the head to replace it. On your car it was
> made from a poor material and can fail. Normally it goes BIG time, if
> you were able to top up the coolant and drive again this may not be the
> problem.
>
> 4) If it only overheats in traffic it's maybe just a bad fan clutch.
>
> 5) Failing the above it could be the head gasket or a sticking
> thermostat.
>
>> I noticed this when steam started to come out of the heater ducts while
>> in
>> traffic. The needle was near the red. On opening the hood I saw signs
>> of
>> leakage on the oil pan flange area on the left side.
>>
>> I got the car to a dealer in Glendale (Pacific BMW) and signed up for an
>> estimate. That was $115. What ever happened to the days of *free*
>> estimates?
>>
>> I got a call from the dealer a couple of days later. They told me that
>> they
>> couldn't see where the leak was and if I wanted them to investigate
>> further
>> it would co$t me another $575 to pull the intake manifold. Mind you,
>> that
>> was on _top_ of the $115, and would still be part of the estimate!
>> Actually
>> _fixing_ the problem was not included.

  • Re: OT: Recommended Site For Dealer Invoice Pricing On New Car Purchase
    ... Edmonds will give you Invoice, MSRP, the True Market Value, What others ... Just don't click any of the Free Dealer Quotes which are on every page. ... is time for a new car purchase. ... gotten the best price by going to a dealer you trust and talk face to ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Pozi-cross screws, I hate them
    ... Japaneese car and the wife owns a Ford. ... When I worked for the Oldsmobile dealer in the mid 80's we had a Toyota ... Our Customer Pay to warranty repair ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • OT: Test Drove an Electric Car Today
    ... It's a slick little vehicle, with an all-aluminum frame and ... or something like that) that Zenn purchases without an ... pretty much what you'd expense in any economy car nowadays. ... dealer is working to overcome. ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)
  • Re: The Scrap Merchant
    ... All this equipment costs money and needs ... manage to earn a living and pay the bills. ... > car in for servicing and it is on the bill with VAT relief and expences, ... main dealer servicing all the way. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Re: Odd Stealership Tactic
    ... I managed to only raise my offer $300 (on a $10,000 car) before I ... realize that I stopped budging in my offer and the "sales manager" ... "unloaded" a trade-in on an unsuspecting dealer. ... resorting to a private sale if the stealership won't give a fair price. ...
    (misc.consumers)