Re: Brake rotors - life expectancy

SteveG wrote:
J Strickland wrote:

"SteveG" <_@xxx> wrote in message news:8hlUe.105640$G8.15687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Malt_Hound > wrote:

SteveG wrote:

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone that responded to my original post. I'm still a little amazed that BMW use rotor materials that wear out so quickly and (even more amazingly) that owners appear to accept that.

Guess I'm just going to have to come to terms with it as a consequence of driving an otherwise wonderful car ... or just brake less :-)

I think you missed the point Steve. It is not a design flaw (bad thing) that the rotors wear relatively fast. It is a fact of life if you want good brakes. Cars with brake rotors that last over 100k miles also can't brake worth a damn.

It's not that I think this is a design fault - believe me I know all about them, I own a Land Rover - just an outdated way of looking at things. I also don't think it's a fact of life either, not these days anyway.

I feel a bit of empirical experimentation coming on tomorrow. Let's see just how much better the 730 can stop compared to the Disco, remembering that the Landie is considerably heavier than the Bimmer. Maybe I'll see if my son will lend me his Focus too - that's nice and light.

Watch this space ...

Not only are you comparing apples and oranges, you're throwing bananas into the basket as well. If you are going to select or reject a car because of how often the brake rotors have to be replaced, I'll not be watching this space.

I appreciate that it's not a perfect test but the comment was made that cars with rotors that last 100K miles can't brake worth a damn. I would never reject a car simply on the basis that something like the brake rotors (a wearing part) have to be replaced more often that I think they should be - I never suggested that at all - I'm just curious to see their respective braking abilities at first hand.

Whether you'll be watching this space or not won't have any influence on whether I carry out the experiment, or not, either. But I bet someone will :-))

You'd need to compare two cars with the same size (diameter) rotors and wheels, one with hard rotors and one (BMW) with the softer variety. I'm guessing the big Land Rover would have larger discs, no?

I'll be interested to hear how fast you can haul down the 2 cars from the same speed, even with their obvious differences. If you can't stop your BMW faster than a Land Rover, there's something seriously wrong.

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here: