Re: Brake rotors - life expectancy

SteveG wrote:
J Strickland wrote:

"SteveG" <_@xxx> wrote in message news:8hlUe.105640$G8.15687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Malt_Hound > wrote:

SteveG wrote:

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone that responded to my original post. I'm still a little amazed that BMW use rotor materials that wear out so quickly and (even more amazingly) that owners appear to accept that.

Guess I'm just going to have to come to terms with it as a consequence of driving an otherwise wonderful car ... or just brake less :-)

I think you missed the point Steve. It is not a design flaw (bad thing) that the rotors wear relatively fast. It is a fact of life if you want good brakes. Cars with brake rotors that last over 100k miles also can't brake worth a damn.

It's not that I think this is a design fault - believe me I know all about them, I own a Land Rover - just an outdated way of looking at things. I also don't think it's a fact of life either, not these days anyway.

I feel a bit of empirical experimentation coming on tomorrow. Let's see just how much better the 730 can stop compared to the Disco, remembering that the Landie is considerably heavier than the Bimmer. Maybe I'll see if my son will lend me his Focus too - that's nice and light.

Watch this space ...

Not only are you comparing apples and oranges, you're throwing bananas into the basket as well. If you are going to select or reject a car because of how often the brake rotors have to be replaced, I'll not be watching this space.

I appreciate that it's not a perfect test but the comment was made that cars with rotors that last 100K miles can't brake worth a damn. I would never reject a car simply on the basis that something like the brake rotors (a wearing part) have to be replaced more often that I think they should be - I never suggested that at all - I'm just curious to see their respective braking abilities at first hand.

Whether you'll be watching this space or not won't have any influence on whether I carry out the experiment, or not, either. But I bet someone will :-))

You'd need to compare two cars with the same size (diameter) rotors and wheels, one with hard rotors and one (BMW) with the softer variety. I'm guessing the big Land Rover would have larger discs, no?

I'll be interested to hear how fast you can haul down the 2 cars from the same speed, even with their obvious differences. If you can't stop your BMW faster than a Land Rover, there's something seriously wrong.

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

  • Re: 5 series brake rotors?
    ... Any comments on the replacing-vs-turning of the front brake rotors on ... I'm told by BMW techs that they MUST be replaced at each brake job. ... it's NOT good to cut the rotors. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: 50-60k above average for fronts -- usually 40k
    ... You are saying that rotors must be replaced with each brake job, but clearly most of us can go at least two brake jobs before changing rotors. ... I'm relatively new to BMW ownership but over the 3 or 4 months I've been listening in on this group I have read a number of posts concerning brake discs wearing out in 50/60k miles. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: Pads/rotors
    ... I don't know but it's marked on most rotors. ... I am careful about replacing pads in time since the first time I heard that metal grinding my van to a stop at age 17. ... With the cars that I have worked on with scored rotors, I have always just replaced them, the rotors that is. ... Disc brake work is probably the easiest and highest-profit work that can be done on a used car. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata)
  • Re: Auto Brake question
    ... On today's cars, with rotors often ... About 25 years ago I had a Honda Accord which I took to a Honda Barn for ... They frequently machined the rotors. ... replacing seals and a "crush spacer". ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Consumer Reports (300C)
    ... example, I know that DC brake rotors (at least on the LH cars) rust like crazy - yet you look at a Toyota brake rotor that is 5 years old, and not a spec of rust on the rotors. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.chrysler)