Re: Adding a Garmin to a 1984 MBZ 240D

On 07/02/2012 04:42, Tiger wrote:
Just bend whatever you need to do to get it to contact.

As for hardwiring, use the scotch-splice... no need to cut at all.

As for the radio... you do have switched positive... cigarette lighter
is also switched positive... Look at your radio harness... the red wire
from the radio is for switched positive... from factory wiring, it can
be any color... just splice the wire from this position and you are okay
with the GPS. Just make sure you got the positive wire right on the GPS.

Thanks again Trader4 and Tiger.

I looked hard at the area where that copper lump in the left side of the tray was supposed to complete the circuit to the lighter but I doubt that now. What is it for then?

I can't see any way to connect that red wire to the base of the cigar lighter. At that base there are two contacts and I would need some device that could connect that red plug to those two contacts.

My MBZ manual (series 123, Vol 2, page 82-909) shows the way to set up the radio and the lighter but it seems that the bums who installed the radio mucked it up.

  • Re: MK1 Golf Ignition Auxiliary position?
    ... No. Usally the radio gets power from the sig. ... lighter. ... position on the ignition switch? ...
    (uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled)
  • Re: can my bluetooth pda connect to my bluetooth cell phone as a speaker?
    ... if im listening to pocket media player, how would tomtom gps software know ... > Pro - Consider hooking the ppc audio to the radio via an FM transmitter... ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: handheld aviation radio for backpacker?
    ... I will have paid $475 after factory rebate for my ACR Aquafix 406 mHz GPS ... It is identical to the aviation model except for the ... carry a handheld radio and gps though when flying. ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)
  • Re: Behold: The 50G Serial Cable
    ... I got it to talk to the Kenwood TH-D7Adata radio and receive the ... program couldn't keep up with the 4800 baud stream from the GPS ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Solar flares may threaten GPS
    ... Powerful radio bursts from the sun may threaten the Global Positioning ... System (GPS), American scientists say. ... Massachusetts Institute of Technology. ... said the burst produced 10 times more radio noise than any ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)