Re: Steering wandering and very twitchy, hard to keep straight?

I bought my 300 TDT in 1993 with 144,000 miles on it. The steering
wandered all over the place, seemingly similar to what you describe.
There was excessive play in the wheel, and the steering box could not
be adjusted to remove the play.

I found a steering box at a wrecking yard for $75. There was a lot of
cussing and struggle to change out the box, but I got it done and it
fixed the problem. I now have 410,000 miles on the car, and the $75
steering box has not had to be even adjusted and still works great.

Paul Fretheim

  • Re: Vauxhall Astra
    ... mind) eletcro-hydraulic steering ... >> Now covered 53k miles. ... >> A steering pump a year later (Cost ... > chunk of stuff will need replacing at the 80,000 mile point... ...
    (uk.rec.cars.misc)
  • Re: Fiat Puntos
    ... >> Obviously I know Toyotas are meant to be one of the most reliable cars ... Diesels ultra cheap to run but no reason to pay the premium unless ... > doing big miles. ... Reliable apart from some niggly faults (steering ...
    (uk.rec.cars.misc)
  • Re: Vauxhall Astra
    ... > Now covered 53k miles. ... > A steering pump a year later (Cost unknown) ... > Steering has needed alignment twice - both times just after my VX garage ... chunk of stuff will need replacing at the 80,000 mile point... ...
    (uk.rec.cars.misc)
  • Re: Odyssey AT 2006 problem
    ... My Odyssey only has 12k miles on it and after getting off ... But the real bad news is that when wiping the fluid off the stick paper ... Turned out to be the PS pump - which was logical because ... However the steering feels ...
    (rec.autos.makers.honda)