Re: 89 300E, tough starting....help please

IMHO the fuel pressure is probably OK because the problem only occurs at cold starts.

Fuel injected engines have a "cold start system" that injects additional fuel into the engine for a very short time during cold starts - five to fifteen seconds to help get them started and for initial warm-up.

Basically, there's an engine temperature sensor: ON below a certain temperature and OFF above it.
A relay that's ON longer as the temperature is lower.
And an electric cold start valve: ON injects fuel, OFF cuts off the fuel.

One of these isn't doing what it should be.

  • Re: 92 Civic - Hesitate/stutter/stall when warm & below 2500rpm
    ... Try a thorough purge of the cooling system. ... Also pour a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner ... One cold -15 C morning ... Runs great until the engine is warm. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.honda)
  • Re: Rover 02 1.6i - starting or not !
    ... I too thought it was fuel related, but a helpful chap on here suggested the camshaft sensor or it's connections. ... I suspect that an intermittent camshaft sensor, causing the engine not to start under different conditions, makes perfect sense but not really only when cold. ... Unfortunately the air leak sounds a highly plausib;e explanation, sealing when even slightly warm, but I'll give the double key turning a go, though I always delay winding the starter over, to give a chance for the pump to do it's job. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Re: 1987 GTI 16V Wont Stay running
    ... Cold start injector sprays fuel when jumped. ... The engine cranks strong and the fuel pump is running. ... I am now on to something as when I hooked a vacuum gauge on to the main ...
    (rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled)
  • Re: 1987 GTI 16V Wont Stay running
    ... Wayne Faas wrote: ... Cold start injector sprays fuel when jumped. ... The engine cranks strong and the fuel pump is running. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled)
  • Re: what this mean
    ... After the engine is started and the ... > oil pump begins to operate, friction in the engine causes the engine ... > proportion of oil in the fuel mix for "cold starts". ...
    (alt.usage.english)