Re: Reliability declining of some European cars

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:52:36 -0400, "Peter" <pcklein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>The decline in reliability began when the 124 series ended:1995 E Class.
>Mercedes was determined to put more and more technology into their car which
>relied on computer modules. MB traditionally went with Bosch and Hella
>electronics. These firms had problems with their "Chips". Daimler refused to
>put reliable, Japanese chips in their German car. They decided to switch to
>Alpine audio when they were bombarded by letters from dealers and customers
>who emphasized that the developed nations of the world listened to music
>from Compact Disc for over twenty years. They finally went through their
>inventory of Becker tape/radios and made the switch.
>Daimler, BMW, and Volkwagen AG have turned the corner and all claim that
>their cars are reliable again. The bottom line is, would you rather be in a
>Mercedes-Benz in an accident or a Japanese car? P.

Peter
This is exactly what I was looking for.
I have another friend that purchased a 745(?) BMW about a year ago
for circa 100k and had lots of problems. Always with electronics.
Problems that the dealer wasn't capable of fixing.
Thanks

Vlad

  • Re: Mr. Arny may enjoy this:
    ... Although a 300SL Gullwing Mercedes from 1957 is one of the most valuable ... Most '67 Chevys are worth more than most '67 ... many people who would not have a Benz or a BMW as a gift ... no stock US car is. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: BMWs nothing but problems??? Really???
    ... > Many of my friends have been giving me advice of DONT buy a BMW they ... > are a money pit car, $900 alternators, etc... ... brand new, 1) there is little info on its reliability yet, and 2) it's ... > I thought the best people to ask are actual BMW owners. ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)
  • Re: What a mess, eh?
    ... When my car breaks down I want someone ... a lot of modern active primary safety features do take control of the ... moment are to do with reliability. ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: What ever happened to Paul-B?
    ... the 1300 cc division of the historic championship for Cheek Racing. ... car problems that ruined my usual Cheek Racing reliability. ... that he would take the title once he got a fast *and* reliable car. ... But Paul's tortious defamations were in good taste, ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Mercedes - yikes
    ... Mercedes is the least reliable car brand sold in America. ... be true of owners of other marques who responded to the poll, ... Mercedes owner than it is on the list of the typical BMW owner. ...
    (misc.consumers)